Notices

Depression at Christmas

Old 12-07-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Christmas depresses me since mom died over two years ago. We always spent Christmas at her house, eating and opening presents. Even when she was in assisted living, we'd eat dinner with her. Now all my kids are grown and gone and it's just me and my brother. We don't do anything special.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Christmas depresses me since mom died over two years ago. We always spent Christmas at her house, eating and opening presents. Even when she was in assisted living, we'd eat dinner with her. Now all my kids are grown and gone and it's just me and my brother. We don't do anything special.
Actually I was rethinking my "depression" today (although I am not bipolar my depression ebbs and flows like the tide) and sensed an incoming tide reminding me how nice it was to remember the old times, before the holiday became so commercialized and that, regardless of a person's personal beliefs, whether Christian, Jew, Islamic (Yes the real Islam), Buddhist, Daoist, Agnostic or Atheist, the values of Christmas (giving- not necessarily receiving) thinking of those less fortunate, those still struggling with addiction, those in prison or on the street. Such values are there unchanged by all the commercialization and selfishness which might otherwise impact the happiness which comes from caring for others, leaving a message, like the ones scribbled on European walls by soldiers in WW2, still living or now dead, "Kilroy was here!" If you have stopped believing in Santa, you can still believe in Kilroy.

Bill.