Notices

Anybody else's brain won't shut up?

Old 12-05-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You can ignore urges, and slowly condition your brain to be able to accept "no" for an answer... But it is not so easy to re-condition the part of your brain that expects instant gratification, without replacing the object it is accustomed to getting with a new object.

If every time the pleasure-seeking part of your brain says "Hey we want a beer" you simply say no and leave it at that, you're not satisfying it, you're not making it go away, it's still actively seeking something. What will you use to replace the one thing that your brain deems as pleasurable? The really exciting part of this is that there are a million other things that are pleasurable, we have just been self-limiting to one, alcohol.

A lot of people gain weight when they stop drinking alcohol because they start chowing down on processed sugar! But it satiates those pleasure centers that are going NUTS because you're depriving them of alcohol! So if you quit cold turkey, sugar will soothe some nerves, believe it not, while you work on steps or therapy or whatever else you need to do.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth
If every time the pleasure-seeking part of your brain says "Hey we want a beer" you simply say no and leave it at that, you're not satisfying it, you're not making it go away, it's still actively seeking something. What will you use to replace the one thing that your brain deems as pleasurable?
For me (and untold others), the addicted part of my brain will have none of that replacement business. It wants the booze. Period. It will not be satisfied with anything else.

While I agree there are unlimited ways to enjoy live and get natural highs...that other part of me does not agree. Too bad for it. By not being reinforced in any way shape or form, that part of my brain will atrophy to almost non-existence (figuratively speaking, of course...it's the thoughts that will atrophy). While it may over my lifetime pop up here and there, it simply retreats again when it sees the answer is no and is not bothersome to any significant extent. This has certainly been my experience.

As a nondrinker, my life is filled with activities, hobbies, interests...I'm never at a loss for things to stimulate my mind, but none of those things keep me from drinking. What keeps me from drinking is that it is not an option under any circumstance. Getting through the intense barrage from the addicted side of the brain can take some doing at first, but shutting it down can become second nature very quickly if practiced. That has also been my experience.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My brain never stops! But I have found the longer I stay sober it has GREATLY calmed down. I fill my time with meetings and excersise.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The biggest struggle for me is that I still like the lifestyle of the drinker.

I love going to bars and wineries; I just enjoy everything that has to do with drinking. I do not understand why it is so glamorous to me.

Of course I do not like what alcohol has done to my body and mind over the last 27 years of abuse.

I have to just realize my drinking days are over. I am 53 years old..the lifestyle that I enjoy so much is really sorta pathetic at my age.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As others have said, it dies down after awhile. I waited it out. Wasn't fun, but I had faith in what I had read on this site, and sure enough it was true.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Honestly, I just got used to it.

It used to scare me the endless babble but once I stopped running away from it, I got more comfortable with it and I learned what was good babble and what wasn't

I harnessed my babble and my million thoughts at once for good, instead of evil and I can't imagine my being any other way now

D
Old 12-05-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I also changed up my daily routines during my first few weeks sober. I made it a point to go for a walk, yoga, take my kids somewhere.... ot allowing myself time to think about drinking helped.

As time passes the thoughts of drinking really do lessen. Remember you will never wake up regretting that you didn't drink the night before.