Notices

Help. Drink a dessert drink with alcohol

Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help. Drink a dessert drink with alcohol

Hi. I was eating with friends. They ordered some kind of frappe desert with alcohol. I said I don't drink. They pushed and said it's just at the bottom. I relented cause they had already ordered it and were paying. Ugh. Am I still sober. I had a couple sips and ate some of the blackberries inside.

Ack. Am I sober. I was trying to drink. I was with two older respected friends. I felt. Obligated.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just move on and don't do it again.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think that's really a slip. You took a nibble but there's not a ton of alcohol in that dish to begin with. Try to avoid situations like that but don't agonize over it, Pressmetilihurt.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's probably a great opportunity to think about peer pressure and how you'll handle it in future Press?

D
Old 12-01-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Press,

Tough situation. The best thing is you made a sober decision and didn't slip after.

I remember my drinking days. I would think...I'm only going to have a couple....next thing...wasted...half the bottle gone.

Well done.

Stay clean.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I agree with Dee. Good opportunity to examine the peer pressure angle. I've been lucky - not one person has tried to get me to even taste anything. The only thing you are "obligated" to do is protect your sobriety.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Sounds to me like a situation you are not comfortable with. You aren't happy with how it worked out. I suggest you leave it behind you - it's past and passed.

How would you like it to have happened? Build a picture in your mind of how you would have preferred to handle this. Next time, do that.

Any other mental energy you spend on this might be better used for just about anything else, don't you think?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you can look at this situation where you felt obligated to drink something that you had decided to not drink. This is a time when you need to focus on what you know is right for you and to dismiss peer pressure. Have a firm plan in mind so you don't find yourself in the same situation again.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry too much about it -- worrying used to make me even more likely to really fall back into it.

Though as fres start57 mentioned above, using that energy to envision how you would like to handle this next time might be helpful. My fallback now is just to say 'I really don't like the taste of alcohol, it tastes like chemicals to me'. I don't know why, but it's just close enough to the real taste while being just gross enough that people stop pressuring.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This will sound harsh, but its what's in my head right now. I wouldn't be concerned with the few sips, I would be more concerned that you let a few friends bully you into taking a few sips. 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Quite simply put, in the future tell your friends you have an allergy to alcohol .
Nobody bats an eye if you say you have any other food allergy.

I don't know if you're in AA or you've just decided to stop drinking on your own. If you are, run this past your sponsor. It's always a slippery slope where any alcohol is concerned.
As far as your original question, you didn't order another 6 or 7 did you?

For me personally, I avoid the first one, I might get the idea I can drink normally again and end up back where I started..
Old 12-01-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post

Ugh. Am I still sober. I had a couple sips and ate some of the blackberries inside.
I think you are sober, let it go.
Consider this a lesson learned not to be repeated.
Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think you are still sober for sure. A few sips to me isn't the same as gulping down multiple drinks in one sitting. Besides you were mindful of the situation then and now, so it was a good learning exercise, which is very positive!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

you were trying to drink and you did.

those are facts. the rest is what led you there, and what you allowed to lead you there or felt you couldn't choose differently about.

i don't see how 'not worrying' about those facts is helpful. if trying to drink and having sips doesn't matter, there is no reason not to repeat it.

and yes, if you want to stay sober, figuring out what will work for you in certain situations is a great use of your energy and forums.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As others have said plan ahead for the next time, these friends need to start understanding this is an important life decision you've made, not something they can blur the lines over.

Draw a line under it and keep moving forward!!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

how are you today, Press?
stick around, stay engaged....
Old 12-03-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wouldn't struggle over the incident too much, but yes, start making a plan for what you are going to do next time someone tries to push something like that on you. There were certainly other desserts on the menu.

On the topic of desserts, this came up just last night for me. There are several classic recipes for tiramisu, some of them include adding rum or another spirit and others do not. It is one of my favourite desserts offered here in Italy so I love when it is on the menu. Last night I was out for dinner and it was dessert time, the owner of the restaurant come over to tell us the dessert offerings, including tiramisu. It was simple, I just asked "is there any alcohol in your tiramisu, do you add rum or anything?" and she said, "oh, just the tiniest bit, barely any at all" and I said "mmm, it sounds delicious but I'd really prefer something without alcohol, what else do you have?" No scene, no big deal. (that said, the creme caramel I ended up with was NOT very good, but such is life.... )
Old 12-03-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I'm going out to dinner tonight. Some of the people know I don't drink some don't. I thanked you for this post because it made me think over and reinforce my plans should this or a similar situation arise.