Notices

Holiday Beverages

Old 11-17-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday Beverages

Hi there. I'm doing very well these days. Even my cravings have been at bay, which has been a huge relief. Except the other day. I was passing by a liquor store and on their sign was a sale for Tom and Jerry batter. I had a moment of deep craving, as I always loved those during the holidays.

I got through it, but it got me to wondering about alternative N/A holiday beverages. I realize a Tom and Jerry can be made sans alcohol, but it's just not the same to me.

Does anyone care to share their favorite soft holiday beverage? I'd like to be prepared ahead of time with some good ideas to celebrate the holidays sober.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Egg nog! Has to be made with real sugar though, none of that glucose-fructose crap. I mix it with milk because I hate too much sweetness in beverages.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

High quality ginger ale in a high ball glass is a nice holiday drink.

Cider is good, as are holiday- themed hot tea drinks.

Egg nogg is a classic. I like it better without brandy, since the taste immediately takes me back to childhood.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll be drinking the best ginger ale I can find. And really good quality juices. Sparkling mineral water with lots of lime is lovely too.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like the ginger ale idea. I know there's a good specialty one that they sell around my area. Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I a a fan of ginger ale as well. There are some fun sparkling punch drinks online. Maybe we can keep this thread going throughout the month and add to the list. I made a great non alcoholic NYE punch a few years ago, need to find it.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Virgin Mary is a classic, some spiced hot chocolate ....
Old 11-17-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You might find some more here .....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lic-drink.html
Old 11-18-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seriously, the ginger ale craze is in full effect now and they are putting out some delicious ones. I had some drinking friends visit and stay with me a few months ago and we stopped for an afternoon refreshment. I had my usual ginger beer (no alcohol but very, very spicy) and they had an alcoholic wine spritz. They tasted my ginger beer and for the next round both switched to that.
I honestly prefer water when I am at the table and enjoying a meal. I don' want any flavours interfering with the food. But maybe before dinner with some light snacks some sort of special drink in a special glass. I was thinking of ginger beer mixed with something red for a festive and sparkly look, served in a champagne glass (if the glass does not trigger you!) I am not sure if cranberry would be the right combo, the flavours might not go together well, though the color would be lush!
Actually, I've got it! I am going to try this and I'll be back to report. A fancy and spicy ginger beer- about 3/4 with about 1/4 Sanbitter with a tiny twist of lemon, served very cold but not on ice. Soda: Sanbitter from San Pellegrino | Serious Eats
Old 11-18-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

During the holidays and at special events (baptisms and such) there is a very delicious hot chocolate that they serve here in Italy. It is very thick and rich and a super luxurious treat. For anyone entertaining during the holidays I guarantee you if you served this your guests would not have a second thought about where the alcohol was,they would come back for more and more of this. It is lovely any time of the day and best served either at a buffet style party (not a sit down dinner, too heavy) or after dinner as a nice after dinner drink.
Cioccolata Calda (Hot Chocolate Italian-Style) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 11-18-2016, 01:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love a spicy ginger beer too. I discovered a knock-your-socks-off spicy ginger beer at my local foodstore - supposedly made to a "Dickensian" recipe and billed as having the kick of two angry mules. It's gorgeous. Yum. My new holiday drink!
Old 11-18-2016, 01:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Since I spend Christmas with family and friends, it was a great opportunity to drink gallons of wine rather than the cheap beer, cider and quite frankly, anti-freeze (not really but very gross) I used to drink daily. This will be my first sober Christmas and I'm feeling good about it as I'll be completely changing drinks. My plan is to drink my many cups of herbal tea as always, but to drink Pepsi with ice. It's my favourite drink but I don't have it in the house very often. I'll be taking a big case of Pepsi with me and it'll feel like a treat! Plus the food. I'm trying to gain weight, so bring on the Christmas food!
Old 11-18-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always bring my own fancy non-alcoholic drinks to the Holiday parties...and I find that others like to join me, so bring plenty.
Sometimes people that aren't big drinkers are relieved to find that there is a better drink option available. Not talking the hardcore drinkers here!

I like sparking juice mixed with club soda or current favorite is margarita mix mixed with lime club soda. Costco has the best mix, and it is very inexpensive....

Also Chai, any kind of Chai with milk sweetened with honey. Yum!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

For the holiday celebrations, my family usually has champagne. But several of us are now non-drinkers for various reasons, so about half of us will be drinking sparkling grape juice. I don't get triggered by champagne flutes, so I'll have my grape juice in a flute and think nothing of it. I also really like ginger beer, and will take some with me. Sparkling water with a splash of cranberry juice is also one of my favorites, and looks quite festive with a lime or orange slice.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I keep hearing about ginger beer here and other places. What's the difference between ginger beer and ginger ale? Sounds like maybe ginger beer is very spicy, which I love.

I haven't seen ginger beer in my local stores, but I haven't really looked for it, to be honest. Maybe I should.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh man, Mera, that chocolate drink sounds fantastic! And I'm not really even a big chocolate person. I generally could take it or leave it, but I'm totally going to try this!

I especially like that it's a special drink for a baptism. I'm very private, and I don't post much about my personal life on here, but I will now say that I have a young baby that is getting baptized in a week. Having a special drink like this would make the celebration afterwards even better. Thank you so much for the idea!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Do give it a try! The difference between ginger ale and ginger beer if tgat ginger beer is less sweet and has more of a spicy kick to it. It is seriously delicious!