Notices

6 weeks 1 day sober

Old 11-06-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Byeredwine

6 weeks 1 day sober

Here's my first post on this site.Im sober 1 day and six weeks.I know I'm doing the right thing and feel positive...but lately the " Thrill of sobriety " is waning.Im living alone and my friends are at the bars.Im struggling.feeling the call of alcohol and the promise of the pain slide back into the numbing depths of nothingness.Awww that's a little winey I know. Yet true enough.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I live alone.

Hang on. It's worth finding other things to do. Take a class? Kayaking? Hiking? Photography? Learn a language? Volunteer at an animal shelter?

There are a million things to do, but one of them isn't drinking!

Welcome.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm with biminiblue, hang on....its worth it. Riding out those tough moments are what makes sobriety a true accomplishment and worthwhile.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome byeredwine

Like Bimini said there's a ton of things you can do to keep your life thrilling and exciting...most of them require a little more effort than opening a bottle tho, and that is an issue for a lot of us in the early days.

I really recommend you stick it out too - you'll find a life more rich and fulfilling that you ever dreamed of as a drinker...and until you get to that point, lean on us here to see you through

D
Old 11-06-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No more hangovers. That alone is worth it. Congrats on your sober time. Do you have a meeting you can go to.? They are helpful when the siren song begins.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

6 weeks and a day is a great accomplishment - great job!

You are giving hope to people like me who are at 2 weeks. Great job and thank you!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job and welcome

Old 11-07-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Byeredwine

Thank you all for your support, mostly that's what I need. I have never been to a "meetings". I'm embarrassed to go I guess.any more solid way ideas on socialization without booze would be great, most everything I do is biz oriented these days it's great for making money but that's not much of a life. Ive been trying online dating but that seems semi futile. How does a nice sober guy get a life?? Thank you in advance for any helpful insights
Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started small - going out to things that need not include alcohol - hobbies interests, sports....met people at cafes, had picnics, pizza, went to the movies.

Volunteering was great for me too, got me out of the house and mixing with people again in a non alcohol related environment.

All lot of the friends I had at the end were simply drinking buddies. I reconnected with old friends I'd moved away from when I started drinking heavily, and I made new friends who only know me as a non drinker.

I stayed away from dating for a while too.

I figured I was pretty m,uh a mess and that I needed to fix myself first. I'm glad I waited.

Building a new sober life takes a little time, but it will happen if you're committed to it

D
Old 11-07-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Byeredwine!!
Old 11-07-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Byeredwine

Dee Thanks that was really helpful, I appreciate the effort.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Byeredwine

I was wondering if there were any good "Sober Apps" out there that actually are good. I found a few that count the days and simple things.Let me know if you know????
Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This site has an app.

There is a sober day's counter at the bottom of the page on the home page.

Click on the logo at the top of this page (it looks a little like this) - then scroll to the bottom right.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Byeredwine. Like others have mentioned... do you have any old hobbies you haven't done in awhile?

When I was drinking I gave up most of my hobbies because they didn't seem much fun anymore. Now that I am sober I have pushed myself to try some of them again to see if I still like them. What I am finding out is that I do. Some of them I think in enjoy more now.