Notices

A question about PAWS

Old 10-08-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about PAWS

Hello,
I have read that PAWS lasts for 2 years..
Is there anybody here felt them less than that? 2 years seems too much..
Old 10-08-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine lifted when I engaged fully in my recovery programme.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There really is no set duration for "PAWS" to start or end. It is not a diagnosable condition from either a medical or psychological standpoint but more a collection of other symtoms common to recovering addicts. Your best bet is to address the issues as they appear. For example, if you are experincing depression or anxiety, seek help for that from the appropriate source.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think everyone is different. I felt physically better within two weeks of stopping. Cravings lasted for a while, three or four months. I felt pretty normal after six months. I have heard some stories, though. As soneone posted earlier, keeping a positive attitude and participating fully in your own recovery program does wonders . Peace.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"PAWS" is simply the name the addiction treatment industry gives to your brain healing itself from toxins (yes, improving!). A bit like calling the lungs healing by coughing out the poisonous tar when someone quits smoking cigarettes 'post withdrawal'.

They like to make it out to be something very mysterious, but it is actually a very good sign of progress. To answer your main question, it should peak at about three months for alcohol, and anything that continues beyond that may be caused by something else.

For those counting days, this is where the 90 days milestone comes from.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
"PAWS" is simply the name the addiction treatment industry gives to your brain healing itself from toxins (yes, improving!). A bit like calling the lungs healing by coughing out the poisonous tar when someone quits smoking cigarettes 'post withdrawal'.

They like to make it out to be something very mysterious, but it is actually a very good sign of progress. To answer your main question, it should peak at about three months for alcohol, and anything that continues beyond that may be caused by something else.

This may have been your experience, but it took me much longer.

It took a year for the daily anxiety to stop. I felt "better" in 90 days, but was nowhere near healed physically. I think I may have been able to put two thoughts together by 90 days, though.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PAWS is a catch all term for a whole litany of possible 'stuff' that one can feel both physically and mentally after acute withdrawals have subsided. I have seen people start PAWS like symptoms early in recovery or sometimes later (I have experienced what I thought was paws at about 5 months. What it really was was untreated alcoholism...ie, no program. I had quit drinking, but was not treating the causes and conditions). I think its onset, severity and length are individual. And many people never experience PAWS.

Actively treating addiction, beyond just quitting. with a program, exercise and a healthy lifestyle I believe help minimize PAWS.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wait what? You're saying that AA has a 90 day birthday because its celebrating the end of PAWS? Help me out here....
Old 10-08-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Help me out here....
Just from experience, rehabs and AA know that people usually go back to drinking within the first 90 days. Emotions are still raw. After that, it is generally easier, although euphoric recall may be a problem.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PAWS are any symptoms you feel after the initial acute withdrawal stage (the dangerous part).

they are different for everyone.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

the actual wording is 'up to 2 years'.
My experience was episodic 90-120 days.

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

D
Old 10-10-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
the actual wording is 'up to 2 years'.
My experience was episodic 90-120 days.

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

D
I feel restless sometimes, lasts for about 3 or 4 hours than it passes. I am hoping i will feel good in a couple of months.