Notices

Need some words of encouragement

Old 10-05-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hmm I also had a hard time thinking I would never drink again - even though I was making myself sick on the daily. I felt bloated and gross and disgusting every day after a night of drinking.

I was still romanticizing the drink. I was still looking at my "normal" friends (who also partied way too hard) and was like gee why can't I be like them.

The truth is, it's not cool to go out and get wasted. It's sloppy and lonely and unproductive. It took me SO long to realize that it's just not worth it.

Hope you feel better soon garden girl
Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One thing I do from time to time to bring myself back to the thoughts and determination I had when I first quit is to go back and read my first posts.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Garden Girl, I suggest that you find some sort of Face to Face support group to help you (AA, Celebrate Recovery, ect.) along with this site, if possible.

Also, I'm sure that you need the money for *bills and food* , think about how much laying in bed is going to cost you if you don't get to work. I hope that you are feeling better by then, Hugs!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sober tool app

Figure out your red flag days. Set yourself reminders/notifications/motivations daily or even hourly around your usual moments of slipping into complacency.

Change something up now so that when it hits, you're already prepared

You came back. That's what counts. Takes lots of us lots of tries of coming back. Don't give up

Pick yourself and keep on keeping on!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi GardenGirl,

Welcome back! I spent some time on and off SR alternating between periods of sobriety, and then failed attempts at moderation. I now have just over nine months sober, and the biggest thing for me has been remaining actively involved in my recovery, and not allowing for complacency.

I log in her and read and post daily. Two great links are the monthly class thread and the 24 daily check in, you should post on both. I also had to plan out the time I would normally be drinking for quite some time. I read, exercised, took baths, went for walks, planned things with my kids, I planned anything that didn't involve alcohol. As the weeks passed I began to settle into my new routine, and the thoughts of drinking lessened. They still occurred/occur from time to time, but I am able to play the tape through and think about how I would feel the next day, probably quite similar to how you are feeling now.

You can do this and there are many different approaches to recovery. Spend some time reading around on here, take a look at Dee's link about plans, which I am sure someone will post, and start piecing together a plan that will work for you.

Glad you are here!
I so much agree with this : "Two great links are the monthly class thread and the 24 daily check in"
Kept me sober 3 & 1/2 months
Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
One thing I do from time to time to bring myself back to the thoughts and determination I had when I first quit is to go back and read my first posts.
Before I posted in this thread, I searched through my old posts to find the comments MIRecovery posted that I referenced. So I got a quick look at my posts from September 8 when I resurfaced here after a bender. It was very sobering to see my words again from that horrible day. Pun not intended but certainly appropriate.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone... making a recovery plan and keeping all of this in mind