Notices

I Love The Sound of Breaking Glass

Old 09-19-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Love The Sound of Breaking Glass

Probably a sign of my age but that was the title of a record by Nick Lowe released in 1978 (when I was 10).

Actually, I DON'T love the sound of breaking glass. It is 6am in the UK and the refuse collectors have just come round to empty the recycling bins. They get collected once every two weeks so get quite full. In our cul-de-sac there are 8 properties so 8 bins.

I knew EXACTLY which one was ours as I heard all the bottles clanking together as the contents of the bin were tipped in to the cart. And I cringed through every second of it.

So, two weeks today I shall make sure I am up at this time and hope all I hear will be the muffled whomp of plastic milk bottles (I have no idea how the sound of two plastic bottles hitting together would be described hence a meaningless 'whomp'!)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I live in the land of alcoholism where we line up in droves to collect our recycling refunds when we return our empties. Never been a lot of shame for me in that, except for, like the liquor store cashier, it's unsettling when you become uncomfortably familiar with the staff and on a first name basis.

Let's hear it for the whoomph!
(I hate the sound of breaking glass too- why I always stuck to plastic or cans. )
Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha I wish I could have just put my bottles in the recycle bin, but I shared it with my landlord and would have been embarrassed.

When I would return my wine bottles to the depot I would joke that they were from a wedding reception (since I always drank the same brand, all the labels were the same).

Due to the high turn over rate of people working there I never really got the same people between the two places I would go.

Glad I don't have the hassle of all that anymore!

Day 44 here!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Summerfall View Post

Day 44 here!
Congratulations on 44 days.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Well, I live in the land of alcoholism where we line up in droves to collect our recycling refunds when we return our empties. Never been a lot of shame for me in that, except for, like the liquor store cashier, it's unsettling when you become uncomfortably familiar with the staff and on a first name basis.
I can just about remember a time in the UK when you would get money for returning bottles but that was a long long time ago !!

Somebody I know has just started to work in the local shop which is deterrent to buying alcohol as I'm sure the moment I do the 'regular' cashiers will point me out to her as the local alky!!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you regarding the bin collection.... I started taking my empty wine bottles to the bottle recycling bins at Asda to avoid the 'breaking glass' embarrassment every Wednesday morning. Visiting different places to buy the wine was another thing I did to avoid getting noticed as a daily 'wine buyer'. I'm sure as I often went back later to buy more in a rather drunken state, people knew my problem.

Day 13 for me and still fighting the daily urges... but they are getting more manageable day by day.

Day 44 - that's brilliant well done! keep up the fight people - we can do it!!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bertyboy1000 View Post
Visiting different places to buy the wine was another thing I did to avoid getting noticed as a daily 'wine buyer'. I'm sure as I often went back later to buy more in a rather drunken state, people knew my problem.

Day 13 for me and still fighting the daily urges... but they are getting more manageable day by day.
If I didn't know better I would think you were me!

Congratulations on 13 days
Old 09-19-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VirginiaWoof View Post
Probably a sign of my age but that was the title of a record by Nick Lowe released in 1978 (when I was 10).

Actually, I DON'T love the sound of breaking glass. It is 6am in the UK and the refuse collectors have just come round to empty the recycling bins. They get collected once every two weeks so get quite full. In our cul-de-sac there are 8 properties so 8 bins.

I knew EXACTLY which one was ours as I heard all the bottles clanking together as the contents of the bin were tipped in to the cart. And I cringed through every second of it.

So, two weeks today I shall make sure I am up at this time and hope all I hear will be the muffled whomp of plastic milk bottles (I have no idea how the sound of two plastic bottles hitting together would be described hence a meaningless 'whomp'!)
I know exactly where you are coming from on this! It got to the stage where the whole street must have known which bin was ours it was so loud. Sounded like everyone else's did at Christmas! I started to go to the local sainsbury's bottle bank through embarrassment. It's day 2 for me and determined to beat this. Hope its going well for you
😊
Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
It's day 2 for me and determined to beat this. Hope its going well for you
😊
Day 2 for me too - looking forward to ticking off milestones together
Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me too - looking forward to ticking off milestones together
We can do this
Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I read this I thought I had posted it last night and forgotten 😉. It could be me.

I too am in uk. I too live in a small cul de sac. I too hate putting the glass recycling out every fortnight. I have now started putting it out under cover of darkness the night before and hiding it behind other rubbish for that days collection.

Some of my neighbours only put theirs out once a month and only have a few bottles or jam jars in theirs. I am so mortified about the noise of all those bottles crashing into the dust cart as well.

Also, I keep it hidden at other times away from prying eyes of friends and family but hey, who do I think I'm kidding. They all had me sussed years ago. For various reasons that I may go into later it is definitely time for me to change as well.

So, so fed up with these slavery conditions I live under. Want to feel free, healthy, wealthier and be able to hold my head up with no shame or guilt and just enjoy life.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff
Old 09-20-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lolly26 View Post
So, so fed up with these slavery conditions I live under.
Ooooooo, what a good way to describe it. Yes, I do feel 'shackled' in to this hiding bottles away (only empty ones, full ones don't last long enough to be hidden).

We collect the recycling in a box in the corner of the kitchen and then take it out to the outside recycling bin when it's full and then the night before they are due to collect. I want to be able to take the kitchen bin out and just tip it up to empty it whereas currently it takes forever putting it out as I 'carefully place' the wine bottles n one and a time so they don't clank.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for reminding me.
The trash collector knows a lot about us.
Could probably point out most drunks in the neighborhood ????

M-Bob
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Could probably point out most drunks in the neighborhood ????
Ohhhhhh, good point.

We're the first road on their round - in fact our bungalow backs on to the yard where they keep the trucks so not even the anonymity of being 'somewhere on the round'!!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done everyone on your success so far. Tonight I am going booze free. Will post back in the morning.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This post is funny but not funny and was something I was embarrassingly aware of too . I went through a spell of drinking where I had to get rid of dozens of 330 ml beer bottles regularly and the noise , that awful clanking noise grrrrrrr cringe cringe ,more power to the whomp .
Old 09-20-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love the sound of breaking glass

Things I know to be true: I cant pour a glass unless I fill it to the top. I cant go to bed unless every drop is gone. No wonder there are bottles clanking all the way through my life !!!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to live in a condo building when I was drinking and I'd bring my recycling down as swiftly as possible hoping all the way I wouldn't run into a neighbor I knew!

Grateful to be done with all that!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My commute is through 6 towns by at least 10 liquor stores I frequented. The guys all called me Sauvignon Blanc. My husband just retired, he used to bring all the magnums into work, by the thousands over the years, imagine the company surprise when trash bill decreases.