Notices

Help managing trigger

Old 09-05-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help managing trigger

Hi all. I have this issue that if someone says something about me that isn't true or phrases it in such a way that it incorrectly portrays me in a negative way I feel a strong need to defend myself. There is no problem if I am dealing with a decent person, it is only one issue and however we resolve it, it is over so no problems.

My problem is when a dishonest person keeps sneaking in lots of these issues (think what it would be like working in an investment bank). If I defend, then I look petty. If I don't defend then it gets used against me later. Either way, I end up with a huge urge to drink. I haven't, but if I can figure out how to deal with the original situation, or how to think about it, then I can improve my probability of remaining abstinent.

Any ideas?

KP
Old 09-05-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try to ignore people like this let it go & do your best to avoid said type of person
Old 09-05-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you are working through this as a sober person. You don't need to prove yourself or defend yourself to other people. If someone is speaking about you in a negative way or saying something untrue, maybe it's time to move on. Are you talking about a workplace relationship with a boss? If so, then you have to make a decision to let it all go, or consider another job. If it's a co-worker who is spreading lies about you, then perhaps it's time to talk to your boss and document the situations.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Can you confront the person who is saying these things?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I work at a stressful job where a lot of the coworkers gossip about EVERYONE like it's high school. I have heard some untrue things said about me, and it really upset me at the time. But as time went on, I just realized that someone is always going to have something negative to say about you, no matter WHAT you do or don't do. It's really sad actually. So I have to make a conscious effort to not really care what anyone thinks or says about me. This may not be the least bit helpful, but it's a lesson I had to learn in my job environment.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KP - I find that my reputation is usually protection enough against slander gossip or outright lies.

I know who I am nowadays - I think that goes a long way to not worrying about someone else and what they said about me.

It took me a long time to learn not to fire back, but the peace it brings is pretty good

Take the high road, & keep doing all the right things KP

D
Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
Hi all. I have this issue that if someone says something about me that isn't true or phrases it in such a way that it incorrectly portrays me in a negative way I feel a strong need to defend myself. There is no problem if I am dealing with a decent person, it is only one issue and however we resolve it, it is over so no problems.

My problem is when a dishonest person keeps sneaking in lots of these issues (think what it would be like working in an investment bank). If I defend, then I look petty. If I don't defend then it gets used against me later. Either way, I end up with a huge urge to drink. I haven't, but if I can figure out how to deal with the original situation, or how to think about it, then I can improve my probability of remaining abstinent.

Any ideas?

KP
I love this essay and refer to it often in situations like yours. I currently have a teacher like your co-worker.

SMART RecoveryŽ - Who Controls You?

People feel disturbed not by things, but by the views they take of them.' Ancient words, from a first- century philosopher named Epictetus - but they are just as true now.

Events and circumstances do not cause your reactions. They result from what you tell yourself about the things that happen. Put simply, thoughts cause feelings and behaviors. Or, more precisely, events and circumstances serve to trigger thoughts, which then create reactions. These three processes are intertwined.

The past is significant. But only in so far as it leaves you with your current attitudes and beliefs. External events - whether in the past, present, or future - cannot influence the way you feel or behave until you become aware of and begin to think about them.

To fear something (or react in any other way), you have to be thinking about it. The cause is not the event - it's what you tell yourself about the event.
And if you are the type that does working it out here's one way. And by the time you are done the 5 minute urge will be done.

http://www.smartrecovery.org/resourc...rashcourse.htm

In fact, just because I've had a horrible interaction with my landlady I'm using an ABC simply to put it in perspective.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Can you confront the person who is saying these things?
Yes, but then I am seen as being petty. They are seen in a negative light as well. I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said something like "Never wrestle with a pig, you get dirty and besides the pig likes it." That's my dilemma.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CajunPrincess View Post
I work at a stressful job where a lot of the coworkers gossip about EVERYONE like it's high school. I have heard some untrue things said about me, and it really upset me at the time. But as time went on, I just realized that someone is always going to have something negative to say about you, no matter WHAT you do or don't do. It's really sad actually. So I have to make a conscious effort to not really care what anyone thinks or says about me. This may not be the least bit helpful, but it's a lesson I had to learn in my job environment.
Actually, it is quite helpful, especially the bit of realising what is and is not achievable in this world. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It sucks to work in a toxic work environment.

Sometimes it can really get to you but it helps to realize that their need to talk about other people is more a reflection of who they are than you.

When I told my counselor about my work environment she suggested looking for a new job stating I would never be able to grow there.

Maybe that's something for you to consider?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I would like to second the Smart Recovery reference.