Notices

Day 15.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15.

Well so far so good. Up to today I've been fine, but got cravings and my mood stinks. I'm tired and cranky feeling, everything is making me irritated. I've just tried staying out of everyone's way. I keep getting the 'maybe I'll be fine, just have a couple to calm down' thought over and over. I won't drink today, but keep thinking that stopping forever is a huge task.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a task that will get much easier with time. When you get through a day like today, the next time will be easier. Good job for posting here and seeking support.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you're anything like me, a couple wasn't an option. I've been in your shoes many time and gave in, only to start an interminable bout of drinking.
Never could have a few. Never really wanted to, I drank to get drunk.

Bad moods and cravings go away. And you don't have to think about not drinking forever. Just don't drink today. I can handle that.
I won't wake up with the anxiety, guilt and remorse of having failed again if I just don't drink today.
I hope things get better for you today, and there is no problem a drink ever solved.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

The moodiness wears off, congrats on 15 days! Your mood will be much better tomorrow when you wake up for a 16th day and know you didn't give in today.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, I managed to get through today unscathed! I need to keep reminding myself to take baby steps - one minute, one hour, one day etc and not get swamped in the enormity of it.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nicely done Jimmy! It keeps getting easier as the days accumulate. Getting through days make you just a little bit stronger.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do it jimmy. It will get better and better from here.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said Jimmy
Old 08-28-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate to your post (especially the moodiness/irritability, WOW). These are the things I tell myself (still early at 90ish days):
Cravings are temporary (I've read everything from 7 seconds to the time it takes for wet hands to dry without a towel)
If I still feel this way, I can have a drink "tomorrow" (never comes)
If nothing works, do nothing. Take a nap, watch TV, anything mindless.

You can do this!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations on your decision and way to go on 15, that's fantastic ! It gets better , it may seem almost imperceptible in the beginning but , It Gets Better.
The fear or trepidation of forever or never again is the AV trying to shake your resolve, like a jedi mind trick. I made a forever , never again decision too, hope neither one of 'wins' , by that I mean we can't 'do' forever at any one time, we can only ever do Now, forever being only all the accumulated Nows we live through. The AV will try and convince that Forever is a 'thing' that gets accomplished ( or even has to be attempted) in one fell swoop, it's not, the only time /thing we can or 'have' to deal with is now, right now this very instant and now this now , and doing it (the now) without drinking is soo possible (we just did it ) .
All the (then) nows that made up day 11 were totally do-able, yes? You proved they were, yes? You can do forever, but you only ever have to do Now
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 08-28-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

dtwbd:
That's probably the best explanation of "One Day" philosophy and Trimpey's "Never Again" philosophy I've ever read; I find it very helpful, thank you! Arp
Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimmyhow View Post
Well so far so good. Up to today I've been fine, but got cravings and my mood stinks. I'm tired and cranky feeling, everything is making me irritated. I've just tried staying out of everyone's way. I keep getting the 'maybe I'll be fine, just have a couple to calm down' thought over and over. I won't drink today, but keep thinking that stopping forever is a huge task.
Today is my first day really deciding to get sober, and the idea of getting sober forever hasn't really sunk in. I know I can do it today, or even for the next several days. But we will see how I feel once Friday rolls around. That's always when I want to drink to wind down. Congrats on getting through day 15! Now to get through day 16!
Old 08-28-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The more I strung days together the less the idea of forever freaked me out Jimmy - keep going!

D
Old 09-03-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm still hanging on, day to day seems the way to do it. Plenty of snacks, juice etc. and keeping my mind occupied. I've got through so many movies it's unbelievable! Not far away from a month - that I'd a goal that doesn't seem too unrealistic now.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update!! Great job! Keep staying busy and keep posting and reading! You CAN do this..... Look, you're already on your way!

My best wishes to you as always!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going Jimmy

D
Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Congratulations on your decision and way to go on 15, that's fantastic ! It gets better , it may seem almost imperceptible in the beginning but , It Gets Better.
The fear or trepidation of forever or never again is the AV trying to shake your resolve, like a jedi mind trick. I made a forever , never again decision too, hope neither one of 'wins' , by that I mean we can't 'do' forever at any one time, we can only ever do Now, forever being only all the accumulated Nows we live through. The AV will try and convince that Forever is a 'thing' that gets accomplished ( or even has to be attempted) in one fell swoop, it's not, the only time /thing we can or 'have' to deal with is now, right now this very instant and now this now , and doing it (the now) without drinking is soo possible (we just did it ) .
All the (then) nows that made up day 11 were totally do-able, yes? You proved they were, yes? You can do forever, but you only ever have to do Now
wish you well and hope to see you around
WOW!!!! Perfectly said. Thank you for this. It made so much sense worded this way.