Notices

Withdrawl

Old 10-01-2004, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl

Hi everyone,
I posted a message about a year ago worrying about withdrawl...well its been a hectic drinking year. I disregarded everything the counselor told me to do back then. I sort of managed to manage my withdrawl by not drinking two days in a row, keeping a day off from work on the couch for recovery, etc... even used vitamins such as valerian root, skullcap, b-complex to combat withdrawl, while still drinking way to much...I'm a binge alcoholic.

Saturday night I started to drink and it pretty much ended at 3am Tuesday morning (I think)...I passed out on my couch. Woke up, ok, recovery day...I try to go to bed that night and what I call "the breathing thing" started...its like you start to fall asleep, but you suddenly seem to stop breathing when your eyes close, so you wake up gasping for breath....its like your body doesn't breathe unless you make it breathe...This kept happening so I gave in. I know from previous posts on here that withdrawl is serious. So I decide to drive myself to the hospital.

When I'm about a 1-2 miles from the hospital I feel my respirations quicken. I try to calm myself down...then fingers and hands get numb...ut oh... I know from some EMT training that my body is not getting enough oxygen...now I'm driving faster....my TORSO gets numb...finally I barely reach the hospital. I step out of my car and almost fall over because my legs are numb. I made it inside and they took me right in (you know its serious when then don'y make you wait...LOL).
My BP was 190 over one-hundred something. I layed on the stretcher, figeting like crazy....finallly I got an IV and they gave me 3 Librium pills...I laid there for a while and went home 3 hours later with my Librium prescription.
I got in touch with my old counselor. I took the Librium to relax me. Yeah, it relaxes you but you feel like a zombie...I only took them for a day and a half.
A friend of a friend, who has 60 days sobriety with AA called me. When I was gettinig ready to go I felt an EXCITEMENT that I have rarely felt about anything else.....Like I was a little kid going to an amusement park...We did a double header AA meeting. I was SO open to what was being said. I've done counseling in the past...that was "ordered" after a DWI... When you walk into AA, on your own, and open your mind... and no one is forcing you...it is so different. She introduced me to some nice people too.
I just got back from another meeting tonight, an Open-Speakers meeting. One of the guys I met at the previous two meetings met me there. The speakers were awesome.... I related so much...The "fill-in-the-last-ten-minutes" speaker could do stand-up on HBO...but he got a stronge message across....
I know hard times and temptations will come, that voice will come back, but I'm really happy right now, and I don't want to drink tonight...just looking forward to the next meeting.

P.S. It was really nice driving through the towns that the meetings were in without worrying about getting pulled over!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by NJGuy
Hi everyone,

When you walk into AA, on your own, and open your mind... and no one is forcing you...it is so different.

I know hard times and temptations will come, that voice will come back, but I'm really happy right now, and I don't want to drink tonight...just looking forward to the next meeting.
I find the greatest successes are those that want to go to AA, it makes a difference, because IMO it means your truly ready. Though some that are forced to come end up staying as well, and that's even more awesome.

When you get those cravings, and become uncertain of yourself, you now have a fellowship to support you. Also, come back to read what you just wrote.

I'm glad your back and ready to give it another go! We'll be here along the way. *hugs*
Old 10-01-2004, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WelcomeBack!!! Nj Guy.
Keep on posting...
Old 10-01-2004, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

(((NJGuy)))

Rock on... :band I'm glad your amped up for the AA experience. That tells me you are definitely ready for a change in your life. Welcome back and good luck.

LeAnne
Old 10-02-2004, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey NJGuy. Welcome Back!!!! It sounds like you are on your way. I voluntarily went to treatment eight months ago, and I am not sure I would have got the same thing out of it had I been forced to go. I also got reintroduced to AA there. I have a meeting this morning, and I can't wait to go! Life is so much better clean and sober. Congratulations on your new-found sobriety.

Hugs--