Notices

6 Weeks till I go on holiday

Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
That's the thing with internet forums even great ones like SR one doesn't see the person face to face with the mannerisms ,expressions and so on you don't know the person , not really in fact not at all . So if like me your not too hot with a pen & paper or keyboard the wrong message can be relayed .

I take your , AV-HOLS DIRECT comment in good spirit( oops pun not intended) although some would see it as a little sarcky , i'm sure you mean well .

Thanks
Maybe more incredulous than sarky? I know at just under 2.5 years sober, and having read enough stories about holiday relapses, the last thing I intend to do is risk my sobriety for the sake of proving something to myself. If i started getting ideas along those lines coming up in my head, I'd definitely be wondering if it was my AV at play.

On a more positive note (now I've had a sugar fix) I've heard about some really interesting and unusual museums and exhibitions in Amsterdam, so hopefully you can plan lots of alcohol free activities in.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
SW that would be an option and based on how I was in May I take your response seriously .
Ive already pulled out the Spanish holiday since it was all inclusive and sounded too much temptation round the clock almost for free .
I let people down when I drank and I feel that I can't still keep letting them down sober by not taking part in at least one Family holiday . I can't hide and prune flowers and do DIY for ever, life goes on outside my safety zone . There are 4 off licences within 5 minutes from my house so its not as if I can't drink here . I stay away from ALL functions( reunions ,birthday parties etc) so as to not be tempted but I need to move on and face the fear . I see this attitude as a move in the right direction . I don't want to be saying what if or if only for ever .
I am not forgetting how bad i was and have no intention of drinking today ( a day at a time !) I am not setting my self up or kidding myself on.
There's being realistic about facing your fears.....and then there's going to AMSTERDAM. LOL.

I know your question is serious and you're not trying to be funny, but it just "sounds" funny. This vacation sounds almost like a plot for a bad comedy film.

What else is there to do in Amsterdam but get high? Isn't going to Amsterdam to not get high like going to a whorehouse to eat off the menu? I think they have legal whorehouses in Amsterdam, too, by the way.

This just sounds like a bad idea, man. Maybe hit a few birthday parties first and see how you do, instead of going to Amsterdam for your first test?
Old 08-15-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everyone knows my level of alcoholism . I don't do weed ,tried it once years ago and it made me ill so not worried about that . The wife isn't much of a drinker at the best of times but I haven't asked her to go teetotal . I have a terrible weakness for cheese though and theres plenty of that .
Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Warrior yes your right about the ladies in the windows ( they stand at these windows wearing not much more than their birthday suit) , very sad if you ask me and yes its legal.
Amsterdam is only part of this trip maybe only one day I might even not go to the dam and go walking or get off at Harlem which is also a small town steeped in history . . We are going to the coast where there is a lovely beach and lots of nice eating places , oh and the frits ( fries ,chips ) which are amazing .
Old 09-10-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Update : Its now 14 days till my trip to Zandvoort near Amsterdam . Do I feel stronger than I was when I posted at 6 weeks to go ? Yes , I have another month under my belt ,not a lot on the bigger scale of things but I've been working hard at various things . Still get the odd mood swings , sleeping great now but generally for my age i'm ok .
Old 09-10-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So you will have a solid 2 months under your belt by the time your trip arrives. Keep yourself in the right mindset and you'll be fine. Furthermore, I think you will be very proud of yourself upon your return. Keep your eye on the prize thomas59.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff , means a lot .
Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So, how was Amsterdam?
Old 10-31-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

On the other hand, Thomas, Amsterdam has delicious food. Maybe concentrate on that instead of alcohol? I went to France last year, home of amazing food and wine, and I did fine. Sparkling water, etc. is always easily available. But...I am three years in. Second Dee's recommendation that you develop a strong escape plan. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey - there's loads to do in and around Amsterdam that doesn't involve getting drunk or stoned. Loads of museums, walking tours, bike rides, boat rides, great shopping as well.
Actually a walking tour that involves the red light district is interesting, because it explains a lot of the history and a good guide will talk to the Dutch attitude to prostitution which is very different from other countries.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
So, how was Amsterdam?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ork-happy.html

D