Notices

Be as you are Weekender August 5th Part 1

Old 08-06-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Congrats Gatorman and LadyBlue.
Welcome Christina, as was mentioned stay close and post often. Also, as LBrain always say ... you have to get permission here before you can drink.

Lovely pic Marty. How dare those healthy people disturb your coffee time with their run.

Next thing you know SoberClover will be hosting the sober get togethers.

Looks like a wonderful morning walk Ken.

I don't mean to not mention some of you, have a great day.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Lol Venny! I always like aunt bea, although I never imagined you anything like her at all!

Marty, I'm so glad to hear the visit is going well.

I'm still groggy. I couldn't fall asleep till early this morning and then had crazy dreams. Got most of my chores and errands done yesterday so today might get long and boring! The treadmill is calling and I'll take my friend to work but after that I need a plan or I'll start feeling off and depressed.

Oh, hi Cristina Good to see another classmate on weekenders!
xo
Old 08-06-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

U75, I am 41 as well!

Marty, I'm glad you're here in Chicago! I work all weekend but if I can see you that would be awesome! I'll give you a sweaty fried chicken stinkin hug xoxo
Old 08-06-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
Sometimes I really miss Madison, especially in the summer. That town has such a great vibe.
Me too! I went to college there back in the 90's. I lived there for almost 8 years in total as I stayed on and worked at the local newspaper (Wisconsin State Journal) for a couple years too. It really is an amazing town and sometimes I don't think we realize how great we had it until we're gone.

A couple years ago, in early sobriety, I took a trip up there by myself and spent a weekend there. I think I was secretly trying to "make peace" with that town, a place I loved....but also a place where my alcoholism and drinking behavior were born and formed.

I had such opportunity at that school. I could have graduated with a degree in ANYTHING, I could have studied abroad, I could have taken a different path with friends and watched out for my health. Instead I took the easy route and drank my way through school and performed poorly in the class and did not take advantage of what I could have done.

So I have mixed feelings on Madison. It's the perfect town, but I think I may harbor quiet regrets, still.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

@bigs, UW class of '97. I hear you about the mixed feelings, as I spent way too much time in Madison drunk and high. I'm learning to see the city through a new lens, however. Spending time there with the kids is a big part of that.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

@Melina: at first I thought "sweaty fried chicken" was some kinda recipe.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Every time I see U75 I think of a submarine lol! I do like it though!!
xo
Old 08-06-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Brynnie, thanks for thinking I'm nothing like Aunt Bea! I'd like to think I've still got some cool going on.

I, too, spent a lot of time in Madison in the early-to-mid-'90s and it is a neat city. I was a lobbyist at the time. Next weekend, I'll be back there for the first time in several years to visit friends.

That said, I get where you're coming from, Big S. My own college years were at a different UW, but the atmosphere was the same. I think the college drinking culture plants the alcoholism seeds and, minus a do-over, that's not a pleasant reality.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I'm sticking close. Already feeling a bit better so thank you all.

1 Corinthians 10:13
Old 08-06-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. It is s beautiful day here so far. I slept in. I'm not taking on any projects. I'm going to s 10:30 AA meeting.

U75 your trip to Madison sounds lovely. I've been to but never spent much time there. Maybe it's time to venture North.

Soberclover, I think it's great that you're going social. Small doses and you don't have to stay long. I've got a couple sober picnics on the horizon. I like the fact that they have kid oriented stuff.

I miss Calvin and Hobbes. A great comic.

Brain, enjoy the visit.

Anyway, I'll see you all later. I'm heading for a meeting at 10:30. Would be a nice Beach day but the kids are gone until tomorrow. Maybe a friend? Loose ends are sometimes dangerous.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Oh, and Brynn, I had the same submarine thought about U75.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Oh, and Brynn, I had the same submarine thought about U75.
Lol .... I'll have to start calling him "Das Boot"
Old 08-06-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Cristina

Your pretty cool Venny, no worries there

Neighbour cat Boris is asleep in the sun - he must be baking hot but seems to like it
Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Loose ends are sometimes dangerous.
Sounds like a fortune cookie fortune!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

LB, I had to Google flowbee.

Still don't get the reference, but such is life.

Alright. TODAY is cloudy. Yay. Laundry.

Cristina, welcome to Weekenders. Keep posting, keep reading. Go to bed sober tonight.

There are some good scuba diving opportunities off the East Coast of the U.S. some WWII subs are among the attractions.
MLD, you have to get scuba certified before Bali!!! Well, I would do that - not sure if that's your cup of herbal tea.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday, Troopz!

Seems like the Rain here has stopped, and it be gorgeous. Puffy Clouds, and cool, breezy Weather here @ ~7,500'.

I lept up and did my Clean Up Lite Routine. With the Rain, MesaDog is tracking in enough Guano to start a Gravel Pit operation. Swept up. Shook out his Bed. Caught 2 more small Mice, and smuggled them out while MesaMate was still snoring loud enough to wake the Dead.

Despite all the Fire Wood getting wet yesterday, I managed to split enough to expose a dry side to torch up a really nice Campfire last Night. Campfire Wood for tonight is laid out to dry on the Picnic Table Bench Seat. The Folks across from us in 2 Campsites pulled in 2 massive 5th Wheel Trailers. One, made by the same Company I bought from, has this entire Outdoor Kitchen Suite under this huge Hatch Door. Sink. Toaster Oven. Overhead Lights. Speakers. I guess that Old Saying is wrong: you can take it with you! They were hittin' the Mike's Hard Lemonade [and other Spirits] with considerable vigor. Fortunately, their Fire Ring was on the other side of this Trailer, so they were easy to ignore. I saw one of the Gals headed to the Can this Morning and - Man - she looked like Death Warmed Over. Ain't missin' dat Guano!

Right across from them is an empty Campsite - next to us - with mebbe the most perfect SR Family Name ever!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sober_640.jpg (96.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-06-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Gonna get groceries and a coffee.
Starting to look through the different universities for grad school.
Still looking at Georgia state, I really want to get into new orleans, looks like Gainesville has an epic criminology school too!
If anyone attended a great university in the south feel free to Chime in- or a school near water too
Old 08-06-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm partial to Gainesville because my mom got her Ph.D there.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Son and I are about to get on one of those touristy River/lake boat tours. I've never done it in all the years I lived or visited here. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I spent some time today with a friend from out of town. Here is a 'Pokemonk' at Galway market

Hope you are all well x