Notices

New Here

Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi

Just quitting drinking again after many attempts in the last few years. I'm 44 and have had alcohol issues mostly during the last 20 years and my worst period of alcohol abuse was about 4 years ago where I drank every day and usually around 8 beers a day at least.

I managed to quit for about 6 months a year or so ago but life's stresses contributed to me drinking again.

Now I'm drinking about 4 or 5 days a week. About 4 or 6 beers. I haven't drank today and I really want to quit. When I drink I dont want to stop and find that controlling my intake is very stressful so I need to stop.

All my life I have suffered anxiety and depression and have also been diagnosed as adhd. When I was younger I didn't drink much at all but even in those days looking back I found the alcohol to calm me down and I saw it more as a therapy than a beverage. Now I daily suffer with anxiety whether I drink or not. So yes I want to stop drinking and I'd like to start now. I look forward to the advice and would love to offer support to others on this path.

Thankyou

Missy
Old 08-02-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Missy. You are like most of us. Our drinking on/off button is broken. It's that simple. When most people stop at 2 drinks, we stop at 10. Or 15.

We just have to recognize that the only way to live, going forward, is to keep our finger off the stupid switch.

Good luck. And welcome. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Missy
Old 08-02-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. I also battle with anxiety and depression issues and know all too well how alcohol can seem to work like a miracle cure, but that soon turns and it turns into full blown addiction on top of the anxiety and depression that was always there.
I've found therapy and medication to be of some help, but still trying to find my way as well.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome and congrats on not drinking today!
You can do it and we are here to help.

I know what you mean.. once I start drinking it turns into - Non Stop- I'd drink everything in the house until its all gone............I hate(d) it and hate the feeling the next day (guilt!). I also hate how it make me look / feel.

I'm on day 9 and I enjoying the FREEDOM from Alcohol.,

Best to you!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm same age with similar history, but have been sober 2 years and almost 5 months. Things seem much easier to deal with now, after getting stuck into a program of recovery for a good stretch, and making it part of my daily routine.

Glad you found your way here. Keep reading and posting and asking get questions and sharing your experiences. Wishing you all the best for your recovery.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Missy! There's lots of support here to help you stay sober for good!
Old 08-02-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Missy,
You are here at the right time: just when you are supposed to be, as many say.

Lifelong anxiety/depression here also. But managed with meds, etc. until perimenopause struck. Then turned to the drink. So I'm just putting a "caution" sign up. Symptoms can (but don't always) appear at this age, and they can appear as a worsening of anxiety/depression. If you have a trusted gyno you might want to discuss your issues with him/her or maybe just try to do a little self-evaluation of your symptoms (there is more material online now than used to be). But try not to "worry read". Don't want to freak yourself out.
Of course, I am assuming that you are a woman
Do please keep posting and reading here. I love the 24 Hour Connectivity Thread where we check in every day and commit to 24 hours of sobriety. Many of us have avoided "'accountability" for a while, and this resource helps us strengthen our "promise muscles."
Stay well, be good to yourself. You can do this!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Missy
D
Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, Missy.

I'm glad you recognize that once you start there's no telling where it will stop. That was the hardest thing for me - acknowledging that I could never be in control. It's wonderful to be free of it. You can do this.