Notices

It's only be 12 days...Damn.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's only be 12 days...Damn.

So I've not been to the site or had a drink in 12 days. I thought and felt like it was longer.

This is no feat and many people do 30-60 without a second thought or maybe it's just not in their lives enough to keep a count. Well, I've been counting. I've recently realized I've been taking it too far with my old friend booze and need time to heal.

It's Sunday, doing yard work since this morning and I kept thinking a few times today; maybe I should swing by the liquor store and pick myself up a bottle. I usually post AFTER having a hard day/night. Yet I'm taking a water & AC break and posting here to I dunno, maybe put it down and beat my own thoughts into reason. What in the hell is it about me having time to myself and working outside that makes me want to drink?

I'm not going to today and will try to let the next week fly by, but FU to thoughts of allowing myself to be a diminished man.

If you're thinking about it, think about something else today, be active and stay strong. Our health, good life and the people who matter most matter more than a shitzney bender.

(Man, I wish I could correct that title)
Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Cool ! Congrats on day 12 and coming here to check in.

I'm sitting here at day 7 and I have been trying to keep busy today. So I volunteered to make dinner and went to grocery store to shop. I didn't even go down the wine isle ... So I know I am on the right track and will remain sober today.

Have a great rest of the day!
Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

12 days is a great start! One day at a time, it will add up and get easier. I rarely have thoughts of drinking now after over six years, and if I do, it's easy to dismiss them as the nonsense they are.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me over a year of"trying"to quit before I ever got even 30 days straight, just gotta keep at it
Old 07-31-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I rarely have thoughts of drinking now after over six years, and if I do, it's easy to dismiss them as the nonsense they are.
Nonsense. No Sense. I get it.

Only love will win in the end.

(in for another water/AC break. Hot as funk out!)
Old 07-31-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
I'm sitting here at day 7 and I have been trying to keep busy today.
Make it 14! We must admit there is plenty enough to do just around the house, not to mention ourselves than can be done better in that bit of time.

Weekends are a bitch for me, trying to bury the self destructive habits.

I'm with ya, enjoy dinner tonight.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I sincerely appreciate the feedback, thoughts and words of wisdom. It's like fuel to my fire and will be checking back frequently today.

Have an excellent Sunday!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can't microwave sobriety! 12 days is awesome - take one day at a time and your'll be amazed how those days clock up!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 07-31-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

12 days was an absolute miracle to me - whether anyone else understood that or not.

Great going Endeavour
D
Old 07-31-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
12 days was an absolute miracle to me - whether anyone else understood that or not.
D
24 will be a milestone. I said to myself I wouldn't drink until end of August. Though, since then I've been thinking; why put a time on it at all and just see what happens. I'm feeling good.

How much time has passed since those initial 12 Dee?
Old 07-31-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had 74 days sober earlier this year and relapsed pretty bad. and took me 3 months to really get back to where I was. I tried counting the days again but found it gave me too much anxiety. I would go 2-4 days then drink again.
Kinda like I was counting up to the day it was "good enough" for me to "try" drinking again. Not sure if that makes sense or not.
I just make a commitment not to drink each day and it has worked good for me.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You should give yourself a lot of credit for 12 days. Also, I've never met anybody that found it easy to make it to 30 days. It might seem that way at times, but it just doesn't work that way.
I know what you mean about how long those early days can feel like. Each day feels like 3. But trust me on this one. Before you know it, those days are gonna stary flying by. It reminds me of trying to start a stubborn car. It seems to take forever to finally get it started, but once that engine kicks in, it purrs.
Better days are coming. John
Old 07-31-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have found not counting the days has helped me not dwell on how long it has been, or for better words how long it hasn't been. When I stopped counting the time went by a lot faster for me and soon I will be at a year and it went faster then I could ever have thought it would.

You can do this! Coming here instead of just going to the store and drinking and then coming here shows you truly want things to change, that you want to be accountable, and you are tired of repeating the same cycle over and over again.

Keep moving forward and if you want to keep counting days then you will see the number get higher and higher!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning, up early and no dragging ass from a weekend hangover. I appreciate the words of encouragement everyone, thanks again.

I completely agree about counting. I posted 13 days ago so I have a reference point of when I decided to stop. First few days were rough and usually don't count every day. For me, it's too much time on the mind thinking about it. I was just surprised only about 2 weeks had passed, felt like longer is what I meant.