Notices

Anxiety - Diet does make a difference

Old 07-28-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety - Diet does make a difference

I found this article in a Taste for Life magazine.

Nix the Jitters
If you're experiencing a bout of anxiety, certain foods and drinks may worsen the situation, according to the staff at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Avoid caffeinated drinks like coffee or tea, cut out foods with high levels of sugar and refined carbohydrates, don't drink alcohol, and stay away from food additives like aspertame and food coloring (Red # 40; Yellow #5).
On the other hand, anxiety-relieving foods include cashews, spinach, and oysters (all are high in zinc); turkey, eggs and fish (tryptophan); broccoli, beans and asparagus (folate); yogurt, bananas and nuts (magnesium).
SOURCE "Feeling Frazzled? Certain Foods Can Help Reduce Anxiety" by Massachusetts General Hospital, Mind, Mood & Memory, 3/16
Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

There is also current and new information relating depression to diet!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can believe it sugarbear! I don't have a problem with anxiety, but I've been reading so many posts here lately about it and then I read this article and had to share. Depression is my thing and comfort food is my go-to. Which only feeds the depression and the cycle of bad food/mood continues. I've forced myself off that cycle, make good food choices and peace and calm has become the norm.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this post, I knew to take out caffeine but did not know all the other things you mentioned! I will actually be printing out this post as my mom was just diagnosed with cancer a month ago and I feel like my brother, sister, and me can really benefit from something like this coupled with the medications I am on since I have bipolar type 2 disorder.

What great information, yet another reason I love this site and all the information that we can share.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I knew it lynnmarie, I knew it in my bones! Thanks for this
Just like when you give up drink, you notice how much drink has invaded our everyday life as a society and been "normalised" so because I am on a restriced diet, I have noticed how much crap is being sold and eaten in place of real food.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I believe Aspertame is now banned in a few parts of the world or at least a ban is being considered

Last edited by saoutchik; 07-28-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Spelling Aspartame
Old 07-28-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing.