Notices

Disease or choice?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I call it addiction. Alcohol is a powerful drug if abused one will become addicted to it. I have been in AA meetings for 25 years I have heard all the debates for me I respect everyone's opinion, I will stick to mine, drinking was my choice and I became addicted to it.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
under new management

I didn't get to choose how my brain is wired around addiction.

But I can make a choice to manage that addiction and that is by choosing to not drink ever, period.

One drink, all bets are off and my choice becomes moot.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I believe it's a mental disorder. However, there is definitely something physical about it, like a physical ailment. Regular people actually feel uncomfortable after more than a few drinks. They don't even have to think about stopping. They feel "full" of alcohol after 2-4 drinks. Alcoholics crave more and more. It's unnatural.

Alcoholism is a lot like other addictions because it provides escape. It turns down, dims, mutes the outside world. Regular people don't need to escape. Alcoholics crave escape.

I do believe it's a mental disorder because we know that it's killing us and we continue. Why would we do this? I was never suicidal. I never wanted to hurt myself. But my need to drink and escape, numb the world was greater than the fear of hurting myself.

But you know what's great? Now that I don't drink alcohol I really don't have to worry for one minute about what it is. Disease? Choice? Who cares. I don't drink alcohol. Such a simple solution. Simple but not easy at first.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I believe it's a mental disorder. However, there is definitely something physical about it, like a physical ailment. Regular people actually feel uncomfortable after more than a few drinks. They don't even have to think about stopping. They feel "full" of alcohol after 2-4 drinks. Alcoholics crave more and more. It's unnatural.

Alcoholism is a lot like other addictions because it provides escape. It turns down, dims, mutes the outside world. Regular people don't need to escape. Alcoholics crave escape.

I do believe it's a mental disorder because we know that it's killing us and we continue. Why would we do this? I was never suicidal. I never wanted to hurt myself. But my need to drink and escape, numb the world was greater than the fear of hurting myself.

But you know what's great? Now that I don't drink alcohol I really don't have to worry for one minute about what it is. Disease? Choice? Who cares. I don't drink alcohol. Such a simple solution. Simple but not easy at first.
This sounds right to me. The mental part is huge. There is something wrong - personality disorder, abusive upbringing, self hatred, something - that alcohol makes better. I know it did for me. The first drinks of beer were a release from my bad home life and I kept at it. I did not look at the reasons for my drinking for years. And it is an addiction. One is not enough. I could drink a 12 pack like nothing. Good luck to everyone here. Whatever works for you, do it. Call it a disease or choice - just realize it is a problem in your life.