Notices

Day 8

Old 07-15-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

Good day, Today is day 8 and once again I am feeling amazing. Yet, I do seem a little bit worried. I am feeling great that there is no more worry about physical withdrawal symptoms..only the mental. But I keep reminding myself that the past week has probably been the longest period in my life that I haven't been in any stressful or tragic situations. I find myself asking over and over again in my head... are you going to be this strong when you are confronted with a stressful situation? What if you argue with your dad? What if there is a death in the damily? What if you don't find a new job? I am trying to learn new coping skills in advance so that I am prepared. Surpringly, there has been no urge to drink..yet. Has anyone else done the same thing? Trying to prepare for a bad day before you encounter one?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes, my friend. You are not alone in dreading what is to come. Before I quit drinking, my mind was almost never in the present. It was filled either with regret for the past, or fears about the future. Meditation has helped me a lot in this regard, trying to focus on what is happening NOW, and what I can do about it. As well as praying for the willingness to accept whatever comes my way (though I am agnostic, I still pray, yes).

Just remember the obsessions about bad things occurring are no more real than a nightmare. They are just thoughts.

And congratulations on day 8
Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ty very much zenlifter. Sorry for some of the double post and mispells, lol. Trying to type in gym and still learning how to use this site.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't. But I think you are very wise to consider those situations ahead of time. Fail to plan, plan to fail type of thing. Congrats on 8 days man.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find myself asking over and over again in my head... are you going to be this strong when you are confronted with a stressful situation?

hi Det, congratulations on day 8!
what you say there...this is exactly why relying on strength alone is short-sighted.
it's why people find having a plan, or following a program, or doing daily do's, is what is needed. to eliminate the "what if" scenarios.
the reality that helps with this for me was to know there's nothing left in a drink that would address any of the "what ifs".
Old 07-15-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great advice and ty fini
Old 07-15-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congratulations on day 8, Determined1977. That's amazing!

I always try to remember that a drink is never the answer. There is no problem so big that my drinking can't find a way to make it worse. Steer clear of that first drink and you never have to worry about the second or tenth one.

Have a wonderful and sober day!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

8 days is great Determined are you going to meetings or do you have a plan ?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ty soberwolf.... So far to get through week one, I have been glued to this site and going to the gym a few times a day. Since isolation and boredom is my biggest trigger, I have stayed busy every day and treating my self to different things. I am going to try meetings starting on Monday and actively seeking to get my career back :****