Notices

How to avoid the alcohol aisle in the grocery store?

Old 07-09-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to avoid the alcohol aisle in the grocery store?

As Day 2 is coming to a close, I realized that I will have to go grocery shopping tomorrow. While I am committed to my sobriety, I know how easily I can be tempted. Right now, I have not had a craving or any type of desire to drink, but I haven't been in a store in days.

Does anyone have any tips for navigating the store to avoid the alcohol? I've done it before, and I know I can do it, I just want some ammunition if I wander.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you think it will be that big of a temptation, how about going to a different grocery store that doesn't sell alcohol? Or one that has a liquor department separate from the food?

Also remember that you have a choice in the matter. Make a grocery list and only buy what's on the list.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most every grocery store I've been to has the liquor area off to the side and away from the foods so it's pretty easy to avoid. If it is going to be a huge deal, try finding a 24 hour grocery store and go late at night or early in the morning when the liquor department is closed. Also if you're in the US and depending on the state, most have sunday laws where they can't sell until about 11am or so. If this applies to you, then making sunday morning your grocery shopping day is also a good plan.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Where I shop, that's quite separate from the grocery part of the store and easy to avoid. Maybe you could find a store that worked better for you. Congratulations on Day 2!
Old 07-09-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Bring a friend that supports your sobriety
Old 07-09-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

Funny thing, yesterday morning I turned down that aisle by force of habit. Whoops, nothing I want here! Made myself chuckle as I backtracked.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in recovery I would not go down the wine aisle. Now it doesn't bother me at all, as I'm a non-drinker and am no longer tempted.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ahhhh, that da$% chip aisle!!! That has always been a HUGE trigger for me! I actually bought all of my groceries and stayed out of the chip aisle (where the alcohol is). I went to a gas station to get chips. At first, I didn't even look down that aisle. Now, I just grab my chips and go...
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^Ditto to least. I still don't have a need to go down it but really only notice it bc whatever number it is, it lines up with the first displays you see entering one side of the store.

I am a big believer of shopping the outer aisles for health reasons- all the articles tell you the freshest and best stuff (the fruit and vegs, the dairy, the meats) are found there; the deeper you go to the middle of the aisles you find more [sugary, processed, whatever] here. Not 100% true of course- coffee is down one aisle, obviously! but in terms of alcohol, means one fewer aisles I even bother with.

If it's early days for you and you are really worried - can you make a specific list for someone else to get? Even if it is for a couple of days - I would trust my mom or a good friend to get me a short list of specific things.
And, not sure where you live but is there an online grocery delivery service in your area? That would keep you out of an actual store completely!

Re state laws- in Ga, the Sunday Sales law passed, but you still cannot buy alcohol anywhere before 1230. Go to the grocery early in the morning. No option!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whatever you do don't go down the isle and if you pass it don't look down it and keep walking. Don't romanticize it because it is not am option. Just don't do it!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

At some point you can understand that being tempted is no big deal. It is only a thought, and thoughts come and go. You always decide what you are about to do. If you don't want to have any alcohol, don't buy any. It can be that simple if you decide that is how it is going to be.

I was at a party tonight, with tubs of beer and coolers and premixed drinks on the patio by the pool. On ice. In a way I was tempted for sure. But I don't drink anymore. So I wasn't tempted to the point of picking one up, cracking it and pouring it down my pie hole. I just don't do that anymore, no matter what. So I didn't.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you do the shopping, I'm sure you're familiar with the stores and so forth. I would do whatever is necessary to keep it out of site if you don't think you're strong enough to pass through it without picking up. Stay strong.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In Pennsylvania most of our booze is sold at liquor stores and beer distributors, so luckily I never had to see it if I didn't go to either one of those places. Lately though, it's been more common for grocery stores to start selling beer. At this point with even just a few years sober, I literally do not even notice those aisles. I see them the same way I see the baby aisle...I have no kids and don't even flinch when I walk by it.

With that said, I think at this point in your sobriety you need a support network. You can find support at 12 step groups or group therapy or through family or friends. I would find someone you're comfortable telling what you told us. Tell them you're worried about going shopping and that you'll be tempted to buy something to drink. See if they will go shopping with you to keep you on track while you shop and help you remain accountable.

Also, remember that you're not alone in feeling this way. I remember trying to get sober many, many times with the best intentions. I'd go to the bank or the laundry mat with a few days sober and come home drunk. This is a really tricky disease, and that's why it's important to ask people for help. Asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of. It's an honor to be asked for help, which you'll see when someone asks you the longer you stay sober.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't go down it.

You have choice, you have power, you have legs and a will.

Choose it and don't do it.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My grocery is tricky, so it's hard to avoid. One entire aisle both sides alcohol. Other aisle is half alcohol half bread items. The end caps for 3 aisles are alcohol. It's pretty disgusting.

At first I got dizzy walking in the door so I did take out and stayed away. Then I could go, but nowhere near those aisles. Now I'm ok with it.

Make sure you are not hungry when you go and enter in furthest door from alcohol aisle. Avoid it at all costs, even if it means not buying some items. It will trigger you less and less , as long as you don't drink.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe try a different store. Or try getting it delivered to your home if stores near you do an online ordering service (here in the UK most large supermarket chains do online shopping and home delivery, or you can preordained and pay, then just collect it, all bagged up ready for you. ) It might incur a small cost, but it'd be worth it.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In Atlanta, at all the Publixes I go to, there are end caps on many aisles that aren't the wine aisle or the one with the long beer coolers. I just have to turn my eyes just like I do when I see wine in someone's cart. Maybe notice it, move on.

In addition to the sugg above, perhaps carry a basket instead of using a cart. You will fill it up faster- having to be more careful what you put in it and it would get heavy quickly if you put in alcohol (or it wouldn't fit!) - maybe do a couple of baskets and leave one at the front at customer service- just tell them you did to get a few more items and I bet they will put it behind the counter.

Also, remember that no one is watching YOU because they are paying attention to their own deal, so whatever "tricks" and maneuvers work for you to get through it, do it!

Treat it like you do an eating place that serves alcohol - ex there casual burrito places called Willy's and Moe's here and they serve beer and frozen margaritas. You know you will not be drinking, so go through the line, get your food already prepared to order water, tea, or soda, and keep walking; get someone else to go get your salsa and napkins/silverware if that stuff is alongside the alcohol. Go ahead and find a seat where it isn't in sight!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Since you know this about yourself, you are prepared to deal with it. For me the times I found myself in trouble were the times I didn't know my triggers beforehand.

Perhaps using humor can help show you the absurdity of the situation.

If you are very concerned about your ability to withstand temptation, make a pair of horse blinders.

Put them around your neck. Walk into the store and if you so much as glance in the direction of the booze, put your blinders on and keep walking! That's funny!

Or just close your eyes and walk. That could be fun too (as long as you don't knock into anybody).

Sometimes we find ourselves having to do funny things ordinary people wouldn't even think of in order to avoid alcohol. And it's okay! Whatever it takes.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One of the things that helps me in my (very) early recovery is to focus on NOT entertaining romantic or pleasant thoughts of drinking. So when I'm in the grocery store (where beer and wine are pretty integrated with the rest of the items, through aisle placement and special features), I look away as quickly as possible and remind myself that I'm "on a mission" for my list items. You can do this.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the great ideas and support!

Here's what I gleaned from the responses:

1. I have a choice, power, legs and a will
2. Buy only what is on my list
3. Bring a friend
4. Have someone shop for me
5. Don’t go down the aisle
6. It’s not an option
7. Stay strong
8. Call my sponsor
9. Don’t even look
10. Just don’t do it!
11. Home delivery
12. Treat it like an eating place that serves alcohol
13. Horse blinders (seriously considering!)
14. Don’t shop hungry

There are three large stores I usually shop at and like August25 mentioned, the alcohol is not only down aisles, it's on endcaps all over the store. I'm pretty sure my county allows sales before noon, but, that's not going to matter because I won't be buying it.

You've all given me the incentive and strength to be able to shop and be aware of any triggers that might trip me up. I'm taking my list above with me shopping!

Thank you all, again!