Notices

First big "party" concert sober....

Old 07-03-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

^^Me too! Let us know!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow thank you for all the input. So just got back home after a relaxing 4 hour sunny drive, drinking coffee, and switching between baseball and itunes. The concert was an amazing time. Once the show started, it was so simple: enjoy live music by an amazing band playing great songs (you never know which songs they will play with Phish , with thousands of other people, dancing, singing along, on a perfect night. I was 100% aware and present and appreciative for all of it. Awesome! There used to be so much more involved on all levels when I was drinking drugging: expectations, too much/too little/paranoia, on and on. So glad I went.

The only time I felt uneasy was the hour and a half before the show; we went in early to get a good seat up close on the lawn (which turned out to be a great idea). Many people did the same and used it as a "happy hour" of sorts. No one wasted (that was after), but the easygoing, happy, comraderie that comes along with a few summer pops was in front of me. I kept ground myself in the present and accepted I can't do that. Forgot about it once the lights went down.

Didn't envy the few stumblers and slurrers walking out at all.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Trey is sober now too, for many years.
He's a better person and musician for it!

Phun in the Phoothills!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Awesome! So glad to hear all of that!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm glad that you had a good time and didn't drink! I bet the concert was even better too, lots of things you didn't see previously.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad you had a good time. Saw Phish in Philly earlier in the week and Dead and Company the week before. Seeing the Dead and various configurations since 1984 and Phish since 1992. Saw them both alcohol free for the first time in 2015. I was a little nervous for the first sober show, and checked out where the Wharf Rat table was just in case. No worries, had a great time.

For the Phish show, I had the day off, so I was the one who packed the beer cooler for my friends. Oh the irony! Before the Dead show, I watched a guy puke over the back of his car for quite a while before heading in. Walking out of the show, I saw four people just drop to the ground trying to make it to their cars. I was so happy to not be drinking anymore!

I am super happy to be able to drive home safely and remember the music, and not feel like crap the next day. Like someone earlier said, Trey has been sober since jail and keeps backstage alcohol and drug free. Bob Weir apparently quit the booze and pill cycle that led to him falling over at a Further show a few years ago. He looks great now for 69 and is playing with a vigor I haven't seen from him in 25 years.

If anyone is interested, there is a group here on SR called Dead Heads in recovery. I have been the only one posting for the last year. Love to talk Phish and the Dead and not drinking with anyone interested!
Old 07-09-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by waywardson8260 View Post
This can be a double edge sword but seeing how stupid drunk people act (and yes I was definitely one of them.) while you are sober can be illuminating and help your resolve.

Enjoy the show.!
I totally agree! Watching drunks fall to the ground and puking at shows totally strengthens my will to never drink again. And it is great remembering what songs where just played!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waywardson8260 View Post
This can be a double edge sword but seeing how stupid drunk people act (and yes I was definitely one of them.) while you are sober can be illuminating and help your resolve.

Enjoy the show.!
how they act . . and smell. I think a big shocker for me once I stopped drinking was how disgusting boozed up people smell, especially that "beer breath" they blow at you.