Notices

back drinking helllllllppp

Old 06-30-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

back drinking helllllllppp

So I went 30 days and drank last friday. Since then I have drank two additional nights. I'm so afraid the pattern is starting to creep back up. I found myself yesterday at the liquor store trying to moderate what to buy. Thinking if I just buy wine I may not drink as much. Instead I bought a half pint of vodka and drank the entire thing.. no hang over just tired this morning. But I definitely need to stop. Any advice is so needed. Thanks
Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

First piece of advice is to stop going to the liquor store. Don't buy alcohol. You were sober for 30 days...what did you do to stay sober during that time? Do you have a sobriety plan? Do you have any face-to-face support?
Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get through the next 24 hours sober. Create a plan. You have already proven to yourself you can do it, now it's time to up your game. Do it for real.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I know you struggled a bit in early recovery, but was sobriety so miserable that drinking was the answer? And to continue drinking?

My advice? Stop now. Take drinking completely off the table...get through the withdrawals and never return.

And find some kind of recovery program that will teach you to cope with sobriety. Cope with it and ultimately enjoy it. Cause it sure doesn't seem like you are enjoying drinking.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

tonib -- What did you do in those first 30 days that worked for you? Really concentrate on doing those things. Reaching out here was a great start. Stay close to SR. Also have you thought about AA? Immediately pour out any alcohol you have. Drink lots of water. Eat a healthy meal. Keep yourself distracted.

You have "woken the beast" so to speak and he usually does not easily go back into hiding. But you can beat him. You were strong enough to do it 30 days, so I know you have it in you! Stay strong and stay close to SR! We are here for you.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

You were sober for 30 days that's massive and lets you know you can do this now you know you don't want to drink or can't moderate recognise it Toni if you don't want things going back to the way they were

Don't let alcohol own you x
Old 06-30-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

During the first few weeks sober I attended aa meetings by phone, sometimes twice a day. It really helped me stay sober. Then after the third week I stop calling in and then the fourth week I gave in and now I'm back at day 1. You are absolutely right with "I woke up the beast" I have to be strong I have to stick with it. Today and tomorrow I work long hours but I can plug my headphones in an attend a aa meeting by phone again.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first month is difficult. Your AV is fighting like mad to get you to drink.

I did everything possible to ignore that nagging voice, Going to the liquor store was not an option. I avoided it like the plague.

Whatever you have to do to accomplish that goal, do it.

Start today. We're here to help you through.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you for posting this. the fear of letting the beast out of the box is one of the reasons i won't drink.

toni, the 30 days you had before might have been hard, but surely this is harder? and please believe me that it gets easier the longer you go. i'm 800 days today - my mind sometimes wants to turn over the thought of a drink but i can now just tell it to shut up and the thoughts just...go.

you can get hold of this. you can.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did the same thing. I came back and got an other 60 days and had another slip. I'm at 4 months now and I'm done for good. There is something about milestones being a trigger. Just keep reworking your plan. Get a copy of Rational Recovery if you don't have one. It really helped me put things in perspective. Start something that will keep you busy... Gardening, working out, volunteering. With out alcohol there is a lot of time to fill. When things were really bad I would set the timer on my phone to count done the time till the liquor store closed and knew I only had that amount of time to get through till drinking wasn't an option. But most importantly do what you did and just come back here asap. Don't let it get out of control! You can do this!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Toni, you can get back to your sobriety by stopping drinking now and not buying more alcohol. My advice would be to avoid places where alcohol is sold so you don't find yourself buying alcohol. Change your daily routine to include walking or something that will get you out of the house. At the time of day you normally start drinking, do something entirely different. This will help to break the habits. You can do this!