Notices

12th day sober.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12th day sober.

Starting my 12th day today...I managed to miraculously avoid DT's (I drank a LOT). I'm expecting it to get harder now, as my mind is starting to play games with me, and convince me to drink...it almost makes me laugh how the alcoholic mind works. Over all, I'm doing ok. Like I said, I do expect it to get more difficult, but I will keep on keepin on.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congrats and keep on keeping on!

It is laughable isn't it? Alcohol is a big fat liar. It will cause you to think things that you know full well aren't true.

The more you move away from it the better you'll feel and the weaker that voice will get
Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! Happy for you! Keep going!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

12 days is great! You should be out of the danger zone physically, now the "staying quit" part starts.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days. It is sorta funny how simple it is, to the point of being ridiculous. But, I have learned to never open those thoughts or let them grow. I shut them down fast and detach from my addiction. I remind myself, I do not drink, ever. That simple thought can be become a monster, fast.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SHG1974 View Post
Starting my 12th day today...I managed to miraculously avoid DT's (I drank a LOT). I'm expecting it to get harder now, as my mind is starting to play games with me, and convince me to drink...it almost makes me laugh how the alcoholic mind works. Over all, I'm doing ok. Like I said, I do expect it to get more difficult, but I will keep on keepin on.
I was a pretty messed up the first time I detoxed for an extended period of time. Two weeks or so of terrible sleep and waiting for my bathroom duties to get back to normal, followed by being on edge pretty much the entire time. I also didn't have any physical symptoms other than irritability.

I've managed to take long periods of time without drinking and stay focused, so whenever I get back into a bad way for a time; the effects of detox only last few days now. However, I completely remember those dreaded first 2 weeks drying out after a hard couple of months.

Something that helped me, although not the healthiest idea was satisfying my cravings with sugar. Juice, snacks, etc. and I'm sure that was because of the all the sugar I just eliminated by removing alcohol from my diet. Also, I made it a point to set aside some time for walks, biking, or whatever you can handle. I wouldn't push yourself too hard right now, but a little physical activity helped me.

I also spent time reading a lot about the very terrible effects of extended abuse, which is outright scary and checked back here often. When it was on my mind, the experiences of others helped remind me of the deal I made with myself to stop. Motivation to stay on the path can be very powerful right now and I wish you the best.

Also, congratulations on 12 days! It will get easier very soon as your body begins to heal and deal with it's new and normal source of nutrition.

Best,
Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff grats on day 12
Old 06-22-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SHG1974

Congratulations! I am only on Day 3, so I have no advice for you other than to say, I'm proud and jealous of you that you have made it four times as long as I have. My withdrawal symptoms have been manageable except for the first night which was absolutely brutal with shakes and cold and hot flashes and a tremendous headache. I know I could still get DT's, but I'm hopeful. We can do this. Best wishes!