Notices

Nursing

Old 06-13-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nursing

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is doing well. Everything is great over here. I was just thinking of something and thought of you all. I was at my nursing orientation a few weeks back and one of the nursing ladies said that I should probably check and see if I would have a problem getting licensed with my background. I have 2 owi's. One from 2009 and one from 2010. I haven't started the nursing program yet, but will be starting in the fall. I won't have to try to get a license until sometime in 2018.

I was just curious if anybody has any experience with this. I called the the Michigan Department of Licensing and they told me it goes by a case to case basis so she wouldn't be able to tell me for sure, but said 2 owi's is not necessarily an automatic "no". They just want to know that I'm making positive life changes and that I'm fit to serve the public.

I have been sober almost 3 years. By the grace of god when it's time to get licensed I will be almost 5 years sober. I just didn't want to waste any time or money pursuing something that would be a problem in the future. I would really like to work as a nurse and I have made so many positive changes in my life.

Would love to hear if anybody has experience with this.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is either one of them a felony?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No felony. 2 misdemeanor owi's.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If that's the case, I don't think it would prevent you from obtaining employment.