Notices

A planner, a pen and some weights...

Old 06-05-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A planner, a pen and some weights...

Happy Sober Sunday!
It's incredible waking up on a Sunday not feeling like I've been dragged for 18 miles behind an 18 wheeler. I don't miss those 3 am shakes, what I call the "thirst of life" where I suck down all the water and pray that time stops so I can sleep a little more to be rid of the shakes and anxiety ... and then the alarm ...being ripped out of bed by my face and into the bathroom and seeing those awful circles and acne... and I digress ....

Anyway, I wanted to share a little nugget that's helped me immensely. I bought a 13 week goal planner - not just any calender- but one that I can list my big goal (ummm sobriety) and then it helps me break that down to small bite sized pieces. It also forces me to reflect morning and night on good things and write them down.
This is CRITICAL for me in fighting the depression feelings I've always had that led me to drink.

Part of what the planner has me do is devise 13 weeks of action steps I'll take to get to my goal. I wrote out my plan of getting through the BB and steps. I planned my meetings and I plan my day each night before. These are non negotiable appts. Like paying yourself first is critical to a budget, paying myself emotionally is critical for this.

I also incorporated my fitness goals. To me a healthy mind, body, and spirit all feed I to the main sobriety goal. I am an avid weightlifter and runner and my hangovers interfered with - it ---and I gained so much weight from food choices, I got more depressed and drank more and ate more. You know, you're totally loaded so you eat All. The. Food. Trying to get functional enough to see. Anyway, I got off track there.

Anyway, just wanted to share what works for me so far. Something about pen and ink makes makesit more tactile and more pleasurable for me to write and doodle and plan and reflect.

Happy Sober Sunday,what are you all doing today? 😀😀😀
Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome! Do you care to share the brand of planner? It doesn't sound like an average planner, and one that is right up my alley. Congrats on waking up sober on this beautiful Sunday morning. It's a great feeling!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a specific brand so I will PM it to you. Mods? Are we allowed?
Old 06-05-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very good stuff, snarky.

Love your plan - so full of determination.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awww thanks I take it one day at a time. You doing okay?

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Very good stuff, snarky.

Love your plan - so full of determination.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snarky View Post
Awww thanks I take it one day at a time. You doing okay?
I'm getting there; I've been battling a nasty flu-like bug for what seems like forever . . .

This, too, shall pass.

Sobriety rocks!!!!!!.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff I look forward to your posts & progress
Old 06-05-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snarky View Post
Yes, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a specific brand so I will PM it to you. Mods? Are we allowed?
Sure snarky, you can PM.

Happy sober Sunday.

I love your plan!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm an avid list maker. I don't use a planner but I make a list each night for the following day. Not only does it keep me on track but it eases my anxiety.

I'm glad the planner is working. Just stay consistent with it....always the kicker!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome snarky, you sound happy and positive which will carry you a long ways.

Just a gentle reminder, now see, if you would have deleted your account yesterday we wouldn't be able to share in your new plans and watch you succeed in achieving your goals. I am a firm believer is having a long term goal with many short term goals (bite sized pieces as you say) along the way. Keep it going.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a fantastic idea! I'm not much of a list maker but I think I would use one of those. Do you mind PMing me the brand as well? Great job on staying sober.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Snarky good to see that you stayed on SR and have a plan. You sound fantastic. Go for it!!!

Please continue to post here with how it's going.

I love how you wrote that sobriety is your #1 goal and how you're breaking all the goals of it down and planning it all out. You've inspired me!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for all of your kind words. Yes, you're all right about staying!! Just finished a kicking workout and need to go log it and eat,healthy lunchtime!! Have a great Sunday and plan away
Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Snarky, this is a great idea and I am going to steal it. I started off my attempt at sobriety by keeping a record of whether I drank or not, how I felt, what I did to stop, etc. It felt good keeping track and trying to figure out how to SOLVE the problem of drinking. But it was not all that helpful in terms of being preventative.

I am a huge planner in all other aspects of my life. Why not write "be sober" as if it is an appointment to keep like any other? Why not plan my progression toward a better life like I would a well-calibrated strategic plan for my workplace?

It is funny how we can be responsible about all the logistical things we "need" to do in life to keep it going but then be not at all responsible about the the essentials. I know it is not as simple as this, but I think it is a great idea to try to mentally move my path to sobriety from the dark personal place that is completely separate from my real life to something that is "planned" just like any other project. Make a long-term macro-level plan. (Being sober.) Then fine-tune and calibrate with consistent short-term strategies and adjustments. On a daily basis if necessary. Be vigilant and aware of opportunities and threats. etc. There is no need to reinvent the wheel of problem-solving just for alcohol.

And I too love the idea of an old-fashioned paper and pen approach.

This post was inspiring and offered a solution I really needed.

Many thanks and good luck!
Old 06-05-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so happy that my idea is helping other people. That just made my day completely. Kmowing that I can help others is making this an awesome experience! Keep me posted on how it works for all of you!