Notices

Quitting benzos. Withdrawal. Need help.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Slow is always the way to go....it's not a race...and takes a while for the neurotransmitters to balance....that seems like an awfully fast taper.....I'd consult your doctor again or get a second opinion. I've never heard of someone getting off of a medicine like that successfully after taking for several years. The rule of thumb as I have read is 2 months of W/D per year of use....and other benzos that have a longer half are usually used in the interim--like Valium--but just long enough to take the next step down without become addicted to both....but I am a doctor but very knowledgeable about benzos as I take Xanax for genetic panic disorder..talk to that doc again!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Jaynie for your input. Gives me much hope. I will be coming off the gabapentin rather quickly as my pharmacy recommend because I don't want to go down that road. And I can't take magnesium while on it. I need magnesium and those greatly helped me got off antidepressants My general doc agreed to the slow taper plan I talked to him about. Thank God. Prayer, trust, and thanksgiving going on today.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
Slow is always the way to go....it's not a race...and takes a while for the neurotransmitters to balance....that seems like an awfully fast taper.....I'd consult your doctor again or get a second opinion. I've never heard of someone getting off of a medicine like that successfully after taking for several years. The rule of thumb as I have read is 2 months of W/D per year of use....and other benzos that have a longer half are usually used in the interim--like Valium--but just long enough to take the next step down without become addicted to both....but I am a doctor but very knowledgeable about benzos as I take Xanax for genetic panic disorder..talk to that doc again!

Thanks. Got a slow taper plan going with primary care doc and dropped my psychiatrist. Everything he's ever given me or done in modifying doses, tapering, etc. has always been a train wreck. Bye bye.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ninjaturtle View Post
Thanks. Got a slow taper plan going with primary care doc and dropped my psychiatrist. Everything he's ever given me or done in modifying doses, tapering, etc. has always been a train wreck. Bye bye.
Awesome News Ninja! If the taper plan is the one I recommended then you will be good to go without withdrawals

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am really happy to hear Ninja that your primary doctor is helping you with a slow taper of benzo's. I take benzo's(Xanax) occasionally but I have heard and been warned time and time again that you can't just stop taking them if they are taken regularly. I used to take them every day several years back when my anxiety was really bad, and I will admit that they are very helpful. I just stopped taking them one day, didn't see my doctor for almost 3 months and got a call from him. He about had a panic attack when I told him I just stopped taking them and I had to see him right away. Fortunately I didn't get any withdrawal issues or seizures, certainly felt tired for a couple of days but snapped out of it. Had I known then what I know now I would've seen him first...but I just wanted to say I am glad you took proactive steps in getting the help you need with coming off benzo's. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

HI NT, sounds like your fairly well prepared and have planned for this. That's a great way to go about it.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was addicted to ativan for over 2 years. That **** sucks. Klonopin is pretty much the same. SLOW taper worked for me and that taper was full of anxiety, sweating, stomach aches, muscle aches, head aches, moodiness. You can do it though. Stay hydrated. Good luck.