Notices

Give yourself some credit...

Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Give yourself some credit...

When are you going to start giving yourself some credit, Frank?

I heard those words today from the counselor in the DUI program I have been attending these last few weeks. I have to admit that I have learned a lot these last few weeks on how to be better to myself and move forward in life. For those of you who have not read my previous posts or are new here, Frank(me) liked(maybe still likes) to stay stuck either in the future or past. Worried about what is ahead, dwelling on what has already happened.

I have made a lot of changes in my life since February. But one thing that I am continuing to work on is giving myself some credit. For 3+ months, I have come along way. In fact, I have done a lot in my life already being 26 years old. I got a lot of good going for me, and I can only expect for things to get better.

When I come read here from time to time I often find a lot of people so critical as to where they are at in life, in their sobriety, in dealing with things, etc.

When are you going to give yourself some credit?

We're all often so focused on what we've done wrong rather than giving ourselves credit for the good we've done, the progress we've made, and what we have planned for whats ahead.

Today I can say I am learning to give myself some credit for how far I have come these last few months, and I think you all need to do the same for yourselves.

So enough about me today, thanks for reading. Tell me, what is something you've accomplished that you'd like to give yourself a little bit credit for today?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very wise advice! As much as denial can cloud our judgement we can also go too far the other way. Don't beat yourself up. Own up to your shortcomings but don't let them limit you.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're sounding great Frank. You deserve to feel good about things.

As for me, I think I once said I had the feeling you were going to be just fine. I'll take the credit for being right about that.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a wonderful and insightful topic! Unfortunately, I am horrible at being kind to myself or seeing myself in a good light, so I really need to work on that. I'll get back to you...
Old 06-02-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Frank.

I think a lot of us here are too self critical, and like you live a lot in the past or future.

With sobriety I am beginning to give myself credit, if for no other reason (the best) than by remaining sober, feels good. Working more on living in the day.

Just wanted to thank you for thinking of others and sharing your ideas.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is great advice and something I need to put on the forefront. Ive always looked at the past at my mistakes and to the future for my goals. Living in the now has always been one of my biggest weaknesses. I have been working on that and although Im only on day 4 of sobiety, this mindset change is a big help towards a better life for my family and I.

So I would have to say my biggest accomplishment lately would be this change in my perspective. I listen to my wife better than I have in years and I notice how happy my attentiveness has made her more happy now that Im not drunk all the time.

Im helping my wife more, playing, and bonding with my one year old more now than in a long time. even with the withdrawls I feel extremely happy and Im making up for lost time instead of regretting that I missed it in the first place
Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Frank
Old 06-02-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great Frank. Its all in how we think. Its hard to always think positively but making the effort do stop distorted thinking in its tracks goes a long way in preventing cravings....at least for me.

Lets see, its 7am so I haven't accomplished much I am sober and feeling good this morning. So its running or yoga? That's the biggest decision I have to make right now. I think I'll run!
Old 06-02-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberaccountant View Post
[I]

When are you going to give yourself some credit?

So enough about me today, thanks for reading. Tell me, what is something you've accomplished that you'd like to give yourself a little bit credit for today?
My first real yoga class was last night! I am still so happy and impressed with myself that I really did it. A friend from AA got me to go and I agreed and followed through with the invite (A big deal for me, following through with my yes's). Breathing and any meditation type work does NOT come naturally to me - and I did just fine. LOTS of improvement to do but I did it and will keep going with it!

One thing my teacher talked about in class was the purpose and practice of breathing and reeling yourself back in when you drift into future or past thoughts.

Good post!!
Old 06-02-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Frank....

Oxnard, huh? I went through the DUI program in Oxnard back in 2005.

Good topic. Giving ourselves credit, patting ourselves on the back for the progress we're making - is very important.

We spend a lot of time tearing ourselves down, and that just plays right into the hand of our addiction. Self-love includes being our own source of encouragement and acknowledgement.

Keep it up!!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great August! Yoga is so complimentary to recovery. I love it so much I want everyone to try it....although I know that probably gets annoying and old. And good for you for following through. I struggle with that big time!
Old 06-02-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From another CPA, congratulations. how long has it been for you?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations frank 👍

I would like to give myself credit for the two 5K runs I've done this week so far...when I started my sobriety journey in mid-January I started with running for just 60 secs...I have worked hard and am proud of myself.

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Frank, you are absolutely right. I think we are often so very hard on ourselves that it prevents us from moving on.

Today is a Wedding Anniversary for me, and I am giving myself some credit for that. I almost lost it all many years ago and I am so grateful that I managed to get through the tough time and that I am in a beautiful location today celebrating this special day.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a great and positive post 

I’ll give myself credit for going to a meeting on my lunch hour, and forcing myself to get out of the house tonight and maybe even have some sober fun (we’ll see).
Old 06-02-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I credit myself for rekindling passions and dreams I put into hibernation for many years. And some of the dreams are coming true.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you're all giving yourselves some credit this past week! :-)

@MissPerfumado, yeah you were right...things were going to turn out okay and so far they have. Now to just get through my fun DUI classes and finding a job.

@FreeOwl, yeah the lovely Oxnard program . Its going well though, 4 days down and 8 more to go in my 3 month program. Can't wait to put this part behind me.

@Steve3939, its been almost 4 months now. Glad to see another accounting guy on here

As for the rest of you, thank you. Please keep giving yourself credit wherever its deserved. I know you deserve it