Notices

Net Worth

Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Net Worth

For decades, the term "Net Worth" was nothing short of cringe-worthy.

Net Worth?

Well, in simple dollar terms, mine was always a negative. I had a very good career, respect, I was a leader.....

And I was in the hole. Deeply. No matter what I did, it seemed I was always just scrabbling to make the hole a little shallower.

I spent so much money.... made so many stupid decisions. And not just financially. Relationship 'net worth' - also negative. Two failed marriages. Hardly any deep or intimate friendships. I guess you could say my overall 'net worth' was a big fat negative across the board; physical, financial, spiritual, emotional, psychological......

Today I was doing some budget review. I'm still working on being prudent and budgeting well. I still make some impulsive decisions. But my 'net worth' is now a significant positive when I review my finances. I have an actual retirement fund and enough cash in the bank that I'd be able to weather disaster for a bit if it struck.

I'm happily married in a partnership with a wonderful lady and we are a great team in all respects.

I have some good friends. I am involved in my community. I give of myself. I attend to my mental and emotional health. I give attention to spirituality. I am there for my family - present and connected.

In all respects, it seems that my overall "net worth" has shot from the depths of a despairing black well to the peaks of a mountain with blue skies and glorious views. Sure - there are clouds somedays. Even in the mountains you must expect a few storms. But oh, the view from up here.

And you know.... the only thing that changed was I embraced sobriety.

The only difference is that I finally set aside drugs and alcohol and truly embraced a sober, joyous, rich, full life.

That's all..... oh - and everything. Absolutely everything changed.

Your Net Worth is Worth it.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Net worth" is just a silly term.

I mean, for all you know, can you even imagine how anyone can change the world for the better. Isn't that what 'net worth' is supposed to be?

If you change one human's life for the better, your 'worth' would increase. So would theirs. Two humans? Double it, etc. Hope you know what I mean.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is so worth it. *I'm on day 2, and just reading your post makes think about my maxed out cards, not a penny in savings. *I literally pissed it all away. *I was always balancing things so I would have money for booze. *

How's this for stupid, 4 years ago I walked into a car dealership, half cut of course, and wanting to get back to drinking, but I needed a car for work, and my work is hard on cars so I figured something cheap. *Nope, not with them good ole beer goggles on, got a new suv and $40,000 in debt, but drove it home 2 hours after I got there and was able to continue drinking.

I am so angry at what I have done because AV, I could just throttle that little monster!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another great post, FreeOwl.

Sobriety Rocks - in so many ways.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You netted the worth. Good catch.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you FO~

I live in the middle ground as I am simply a messed up human be-ing. I am both light and dark, good and bad, sorrow and joy, infinitesimal and infinite. I am balanced in the middle of the spiritual imperfection teeter totter, today.

At times I have been to the mountain top, but I cannot reside there. My work is done in the valley's of life. For me, my networth is only calculable by others.

I always enjoy reading your posts friend - you are very intelligent and I love your consistent use of metaphors and analogies.

You help others, certainly.