Notices

H.a.l.t.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

H.a.l.t.

Hi

Today will be day 7. Yesterday was the first time I experienced a real craving for beer since I made up my mind to quit. My Wife and Daughter had just left after a visit (they have been out of the house for 4 months). My wife refuses to live with me while Im in active addiction but still supports me and believes I can get back on track.

Anyway after they left, I had a really bad craving and was ready to go to the store across the street for a 12 pack. I was anxious as hell: my hands were shaking and I was pacing. I then realized that I hadnt eaten anything all day so I forced a sandwich down. The craving went away. I dont know maybe just the act of making something to eat took my mind off of the urge to drink. Turned out to be the best sandwich I`ve had in a while. Though it tasted like hell, it kept me from going to the store.

Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired - when alcoholics are most vulnerable
Old 05-22-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
G-Woman

That's awesome! It can be a challenge to pause mid-craving and really analyze what else is going on (at least it was for me!).
Old 05-22-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! Working on day 7 here too. I'm really excited to have made it through my first Friday and Saturday sober in....gosh...probably 2008 when I was pregnant.

I hadn't heard HALT before, thanks for that. It's so true and I'll keep it in mind.

Again, congratulations to you for making the right choice!
Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job. I'm soooo vulnerable when I'm hungry. My blood sugar dips and my habituated mind immediately tells me to drink. It tells me drink no matter what 'system' is off....its just what it does. I have to remember to detach from that part of me and eat, drink water, rest, distract, come here....almost always does the trick.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Craig

Good job! My counselor told me anytime I have a bad craving to go eat something. It is amazing how something so simple works.

H.A.L.T. is definitely something everyone should know. It is simple little things that make all the difference.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

H. A. L. T. - ME

Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired ... plus ... ME

'I' was my Trigger. When I was bored, I would drink. When I was pissed at my Wife or Boss or _ _ _, I would drink 'to calm down'. When I was stressed, I would drink to 'calm my nerves'. When I experienced sadness or grief, drinking would be my 'consolation'. When I was nervous or fearful about a situation I needed to deal with, drinking would 'help bolster my nerves'. When I was shy or apprehensive, drinking would 'give me confidence'. When I was going to do something fun, drinking would 'make it that much better'. When I was experiencing gut-wrenching terror about something I did when I was drunk, drinking would help bring 'oblivion'.

When it all caved in on me, and I went thru years of experiencing repeated Pitiful & Incomprehensible Demoralization, I had to Do the Work to get FREE from my own Self-Will-Run-Riot, which was ME as the Trigger. And yes, I have to recognize that when I am in tense states, such as being Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, etc - I have to do the Inner Work needed to keep separated from it leading directly to my 'automatic behavior' of drinking as the solution I inherently have.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 05-22-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 7 days
Old 05-22-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My wife refuses to live with me while Im in active addiction but still supports me and believes I can get back on track

No beer in the universe can compete with the prospect of reinventing yourself, which it appears you have the opportunity to do. It sounds like she loves you and wants to be with you still - but would prefer to live with a sane and sober person. You are blessed man! Stay the course!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job on 7 days. I hope you come to the conclusion that your wife and child are more important than any booze on the planet. I also implement HALT when necessary. For some reason my favorite is a hamburger with fresh bun, 2 slices of Swiss cheese and pickle. It HAS to have the pickle!