Notices

Interesting ...

Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting ...

Last evening I had a special fruit flavored soda out of a bottle... Not something I would ordinarily drink but was a special to me occasion. As I drank it, I noticed not really a trigger but a feeling of drinking it being wrong. It felt too much like drinking a bottled beer and just made me feel uneasy - I kept wondering if I was accidentally drinking alcohol, much like when I ordered from the 'spirit free' menu a few weeks ago.

Anyone else sometimes have similar internal reactions?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. I have been drinking a lot of the sparkling water drinks on the market now as an alternative to the gallons of water I have been attempting to drink.
I freeze them, and while I feel as if it is or could be a frozen cocktail, it doesn't make me feel guilty--- it is actually a nice "treat" -- and one that is better for me then the Vodka!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep. But I don't have to be drinking or doing really anything and I can suddenly feel a wave of shame....like I'm doing something wrong. It happened today actually. Just home from yoga and I was feeling a little nauseous. So went outside and just sat there...and I felt this feeling of 'I'm not right, I'm doing something bad'. So weird.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

yep I used to drink monster energy drinks during my first 15 months and I remember feeling like if anyone saw me they would think I'm drinking as it's the same size as a beer can

No more energy drinks for me as they are bad for anyone's health
Old 05-17-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried an energy drink once and had heart palpitations - never again.

I have been drinking more soda since sobriety than I have in a long time, and more coffee. I would like to start to taper those out and have them be the treat rather than the norm.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ICanDoBetter View Post
Last evening I had a special fruit flavored soda out of a bottle... Not something I would ordinarily drink but was a special to me occasion. As I drank it, I noticed not really a trigger but a feeling of drinking it being wrong. It felt too much like drinking a bottled beer and just made me feel uneasy - I kept wondering if I was accidentally drinking alcohol, much like when I ordered from the 'spirit free' menu a few weeks ago.

Anyone else sometimes have similar internal reactions?
Not really, though barrels out side a pub, or foaming neon heads can act as triggers. We all need to realise how deeply entrenched some of this madness is, and can motviate us.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Since I quit drinking, on more than one occasion I have felt compelled to tell someone what exactly was in my cup, or if I had flavoring in a water bottle. It stems from when I used to put vodka in water bottles (and any other kind of drinking apparatus). I'm sure it never entered their mind to even consider what I was drinking, or even notice I was drinking anything for that matter. But my own distorted, alcoholic mind still plays tricks on me from time to time, I suppose.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of my sons yesterday made himself a juice and put far too much of the cordial in it. It looked and smelt exactly like mine used to when I would have vodka and then just add the cordial (with no water). Those feelings of anxiety and that I was doing something wrong came flooding back and it wasn't even my drink. I had to throw it away.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know what people are going to make of this but I occasionally have a drink that's very popular in Australia known as lemon lime and bitters (LLB). It's considered "non alcoholic" but in truth contains a splash (a few drops) of Angostura bitters, which is alcoholic. The other ingredients are lime cordial and lemonade.

I have an LLB on the odd occasion that I'm in a place like an airport lounge, which is a huge trigger for me. Or say a pub (not that you'd find me at a pub often these days) when I'm with friends who are drinking. I have it in place of ordering something like a glass of wine which I would have ordered in such an environment in drinking days gone by.

I at first declined to drink LLBs after an experience early in sobriety when I felt light headed after drinking a pre-mixed version. But now I do have them from time to time as I said in place of ordering an actual alcoholic beverage. I always feel slightly guilty ordering it and even writing this wonder what views are going to be. Not seeking to hijack the thread but since we are on the topic of drinks that make you feel guilty, thought I'd put it out there.