Notices

Therapist #2

Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Therapist #2

I have scheduled an appointment for Wednesday afternoon for therapist # 2. This is a lady who I found when googling "alcohol therapists". The last one admitted he didn't deal with addiction issues often. He also told me he didn't know why I was there because I knew what to do and just felt I needed confirmation.

If he could have seen into my head, he would have realized the total confusion that goes on in there. Yes, I'm intelligent and high functioning. Does that mean I have it all together? Heck no! What people see on the outside is NOT what is going on inside. I am scared, confused, lonely and have no clue how alcohol has gotten such a grip on me nor how to beat it long term. I don't like the effects of alcohol, but feel so powerless to do anything about it.

One good thing came out of my first therapist. He strongly encouraged me to go to AA, which I did. The whole AA thing is still so scary for me. I'm doing it because I know I have to do it to improve my life and help me through this.

I'm almost in tears writing this. To be honest, I am so tired of feeling like I have to be strong. It gets exhausting.

As long as I'm still fighting to get better, there is a chance!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
If he could have seen into my head, he would have realized the total confusion that goes on in there. Yes, I'm intelligent and high functioning. Does that mean I have it all together? Heck no! What people see on the outside is NOT what is going on inside. I am scared, confused, lonely...

I'm almost in tears writing this. To be honest, I am so tired of feeling like I have to be strong. It gets exhausting.

As long as I'm still fighting to get better, there is a chance!
Sweetie, I could have written the exact same thing. This is how I feel now too. I have no advice for you, but I hope others have and then I'll steal it.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Sweetie, I could have written the exact same thing. This is how I feel now too. I have no advice for you, but I hope others have and then I'll steal it.

Hugs to you my new friend. We will get through this together!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are making positive moves. I made a change to a therapist a few months ago who also happens to be a recovering alcoholic. She is not specifically a drug/alcohol counselor but works with a lot of people who have the same issues. We "click" on a lot of the same issues having both went through all the stages, I hope yours can help with your issues too.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I absolutely agree that you need to see someone who specializes in addiction. I'm sorry for your first experience! I know it can be scary enough to talk with someone about your drinking, to get pushed away like that could be discouraging. Good for you for moving forward! I am in your boat, and don't have this recovery thing down at all yet. I did get a therapist who specializes in addiction and it is so validating to be able to talk with someone who knows how to deal with what I am going through. I feel hope that I have never felt before, I wish the same for you.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This one came up during the search, but her specialties include the other issues I'm dealing with. I had a good first impression on the phone with her making the appointment. I am hopeful this will be a good fit and she can help me sort some things out.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Sinderos really rooting for you x
Old 05-16-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am really pleased you're taking steps in the right direction on this.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just went to my first counseling appt with a new therapist in Friday. She specializes in addiction and it went great, we really clicked! I hope you will find the same! Good luck!
Old 05-16-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the new guy is good

I've found that someday all you need to do is get through it - it doesn;t have to be always graceful.

Lean on your friends here - you're not alone.
Together we're always strong

D
Old 05-16-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sinderos, you always have friends here to lean on, especially when you're tired.

Good for you for seeking a different therapist. I completely understand your comment about looking put-together and feeling quite different inside. If a therapist is going to only look at the outside, it's not much help. Hopefully the new therapist will work out for you.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a negative view on therapists/psychologists/etc, but I think it is great that you are taking steps to find a good one to work with.

What I think is even greater is the fact that even though you have a fear of AA, you're going through with it. AA I believe is helpful for a lot of people, and there are a lot of good people in those rooms who can and are willing to help you get through getting past your dependency on alcohol.

One thing that caught my attention is you have no clue on how to beat this in the long term. If you focus on the long term you're not going to win. Focus on beating this today, one day at a time. I have faith you will overcome this and be a better person as a result.