Notices

The truth

Old 05-15-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me anyway a period of "white-knuckling" is a necessary part of the process, not the end goal. I prefer to think of this "white-knuckling" phase as allowing my physical body a real chance to heal, and for now am focused on that process.

For too long I'd hear this train of thought - drinking to self-medicate - and I'd use it to justify my drinking.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I spent years on the why. Therapy up the wazoo. Problem was, I knew the why, kept living in the why and let the why make me a victim. I finally had to let go of the why and just accept.....move on.

I agree that some analysis is important. But what do they say "look back but don't stare"!
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And I don't believe the why can be truly uncovered without a reasonable amount of sober time....90 days maybe? And I cringe when Drs diagnose an active alcoholic with mental health issues and prescribe meds. I'm sure in some cases it's necessary. But booze makes me depressed, bipolar and unstable. Where does the addiction stop and the mental illness begin?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great topic. I drank because I liked the effect alcohol had on me. But I also have underlying issues. For me, it's important I work on those so I can live well in sobriety. This includes cleaning up the past, making amends, and examining my character defects. It's sort of an insurance policy against returning to drinking.