Notices

I once again need to get accountable about drinking

Old 05-12-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I once again need to get accountable about drinking

So, I went a bender this week and I am now trying to sort things out. Basically, after a work event on Monday there was free wine. I had a few glasses and then later headed to some pubs on my own and drank with strangers. I also drank on Tuesday but I stopped yesterday and went to work and went to a prayer meeting at my church.

I'd been five weeks sober prior to that and going to AA a couple of times a week and working on the steps with my sponsor.

I'm still feeling shocked that I let myself down by drinking even after I really decided not to do so. But I'm here now to say that I will be using my support network to try to avoid that 24 hour relapse turning into another long drinking nightmare.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I hope you avoid the extended drinking as well. I don't know if you have a recovery plan written down, but if you do, append it with this:

"Avoid all after-work events where there is alcohol!"
Old 05-12-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Carl. It's so easy to get caught in the trap sometimes.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Eventually I got so tired of ending up the same place I actually stopped myself doing the same old things that led there.

I really hope you're in that place EP.

D
Old 05-12-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you're back here with us choosing sobriety today, endlesspatience.

I agree with others that I'd steer clear of alcohol-related events as much as possible for now. Put your recovery first and the rest of your life will benefit as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad your back and moving forward with your recovery instead of saying "Hey I already messed up what the hell". That is how we turn a slip up into a full blown bender that we might never make it out of.

Maybe it is time to do some reflecting and see where your recovery was lacking and what you can add to make a more complete recovery plan. I have found that the best thing to do is be prepared, knowing how to handle situations before you step into them has been a God send for me. I no longer use the "Oh I will just wing it" attitude/ life plan. Nothing in life can really just be "winged" if we want to actually accomplish our goals and better ourselves.

Have you considered finding a substance abuse counselor? You mentioned your church, a lot of churches have counseling services available at a lower rate and it is just one more way to fully integrate yourself with good people and your church. Prayer and finding a good church has been one way that I help keep myself grounded.

Keep up the good work, you are growing and bettering yourself everyday. Just the fact that you slipped up and stepped back and assessed the situation and changed directions shows how far you have come. That in itself is a huge accomplishment since for most of us we never stepped back and looked at our options, to drink/use or not drink/use, and picked the option we truly knew was the right one.

Never give up on yourself, you are worth it! I know that sounds corny but I repeat it to myself a lot and it has helped me so I liked to share it with others. We are all in this together.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"I once again need to get accountable about drinking"

endless, imo, you should get accountable for your recovery.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Avoid all after-work events where there is alcohol!"

i would also clarify my statement about drinking:

I will not drink NO MATTER WHAT, even if it's FREE. PERIOD.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I let myself down quite a few times, endless. I now have over 8 yrs. sober - after a lifetime of drinking. So - I know you can do this, there is no doubt. I'm glad you wanted to discuss what happened. We're with you.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post

went to a prayer meeting at my church.

I'd been five weeks sober prior to that and going to AA a couple of times a week and working on the steps with my sponsor.
You are doing some good things with the above.
Sometimes we deceive ourselves into touching the hot stove
one more time before being truly convinced.

Yes, I'm a drunk that does best in life when not drinking.

M-Bob
Old 05-12-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Going to a work event with free wine does not sound like the wisest of choices. Did you discuss this with your sponsor before you went?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

...Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.