Notices

Day 12 cravings

Old 05-09-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12 cravings

Today is day 12 I've had a lot of cravings. I've been listening to a lot of podcasts about alcoholism and I found a quote that actually helped me curb my cravings it's amazing how quickly we forget how crappy our life was when drinking. "I was drinking to the point where I didn't even care if I could control it ". This "just gave me the wake up I need it today to realize how crappy my life would be if I took another drink because I never want toget to that point again.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drank for 40 years, then struggled for a long time trying to 'moderate', and trying different programs and rehabs trying to get FREE. I finally got SOBER and FREE working the 12 Steps of AA.

This is some terminology from AA that helps me keep things sorted out:

+ The Mental Obsession - When I was Sober, I found myself Restless, Irritable, and Discontent ... and my mind obsessed about drinking, mostly as a means to avoid the dreaded 'Living Life on Life's Terms', but I realize I also had an obsession that when things were going fine, or I was going to do something enjoyable ... A Drink would make it that much better ... The Mental Obsession to drink.

+ The 'Allergy of the Body' - this is somewhat difficult for me to get comfortable with on a 'gut level'. It fits better with me to realize that I have a 'Condition' wherein when I drink, and I get any alcohol in me, I 'crave' more, and most often I cannot accurately predict or control how much I will drink once I have started. People that don't have the 'Condition' I have, don't have to force themselves to 'moderate' their drinking. The Allergy of the Body - the 'Physical Metabolism Condition' of not being able to drink without getting into a state where I have to drink more.

+Spiritual Malady - I recognize that my drinking behavior is a manifestation of my Self-Will-Run-Riot. 'ME' having to get 'MY' addiction satisfied, is MORE IMPORTANT than anyone, or anything else. I Self-Justify my Selfish behavior, and I am not Honest with myself or anyone else about Me wanting to get what I WANT. And I am certainly not about to consider any 'Spiritual' or 'Religious' ideas that may interfere with Me getting what I WANT. The Spiritual Malady.

The Solution that finally allowed me to get FREE, and experience a Miracle in Me, that I could not have foreseen ... Working the 12 Steps of AA ...

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW it will WORK for ANYONE with the 'Condition' of being 'Alcoholic' as described in the book Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I try to look at any cravings as my addiction just doing what its engineered to do. Detach from them and distract. And I yell at them too if all else fails!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cravings are no fun, that is for sure. The minute it starts, don't run with it, shut it down, do something to keep your mind occupied... whatever works best for you. Also, don't be mean to yourself, be kind to yourself...Nothing is more important than not taking that first drink
Old 05-09-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cravings do pass in time. Getting busy really helped me, especially if I was doing something to help somebody else. Simple exercise also did a lot to help me. The worst for me was sitting around with nothing to do.

Congrats on day 12! Remember it does indeed get better!