Notices

Weight Loss/ Dietary Changes In Sobriety

Old 05-07-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Loss/ Dietary Changes In Sobriety

Let's face it: Sobriety can make us FAT!!!

I gained probably close to 30 pounds in the first 2 years of sobriety. All that ice cream, I suppose... God, I miss that ice cream...

So, at the end of last September, in order to kick Sober Living up a notch or 50, I stopped eating processed foods, refined sugar and gluten. The gluten thing wasn't because it was "hip"- I always had a feeling that gluten-based products were messing with me and my ADHD and they were. The first week of my "clean out", I dropped all gluten and replaced them with non-gluten products (blech!). I lost 7 pounds that week. I also take about a shot glass full of Apple Cider Vinegar every night. It's supposed to destroy yeast overgrowth/candida in the stomach. Being an alcoholic, I'm pretty damn sure I'm overgown, somewhere...

From September to January, I lost 25 pounds. I let things slide a bit (just ate more, didn't deviate from my plan) due to work and moving and well, being lazy and hungry...

I'm interested in hearing from those of you who got sober and totally re-arranged your eating habits...
Old 05-07-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ugh ugh ugh. The apple cider vinegar thing! I have heard of that but never been brave enough to try it. Is it as bad as I imagine?

I have a pretty healthy diet overall. I started out my sobriety in rehab and they fed us the most healthy, delicious food. I did have to ask them for half portions of everything. They did the whole first course, second course, fruit for dessert. I hate wasting food. I was hoping to see a bit of a drop cutting out 2-3 bottles of a wine a day but nope, I am the same if not heavier. It doesn't help that I am unable to workout right now.

I love the idea or rearranging my eating habits and will follow this thread closely, thanks for starting it!
Old 05-07-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whoa, that's awesome! I lost a bunch of weight after I stopped drinking but, like you, rediscovered the pleasures of ice cream. I feel like I'm substituting it for wine sometimes....I guess it's the sugar. In any case, I'll be following this thread. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Yankee73...well done on the healthy living. About a month into my sobriety I signed up for a 90 day health challenge...the 90 days is up next week I think, but I will be continuing indefinitely. The food plan is based on stabilising your blood sugar levels, cooking healthy meals from scratch and no caffeine. Exercise is also a component of the challenge. So far I have lost over 2 stone and now run 3 times a week...when I started the challenge I could only do 60 secs of running at a time...last week I did 30 mins of non stop running which I am so proud of. A healthy lifestyle has gone hand in hand with my sobriety x
Old 05-07-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me too with the ice cream. I've eliminated a lot of the bads and really try to only have the goods available in the cabinets and fridge. This is a great time of year with the Farmer's Markets and fresh foods!! Very excited about that and I know it will help....a lot! I'm trying to keep my relationship with Diet Coke to a minimum as hit that pretty hard when I first got sober. I still drink it more then I want to. I really need to work in more exercise. Thanks for starting a great thread
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
ugh ugh ugh. The apple cider vinegar thing! I have heard of that but never been brave enough to try it. Is it as bad as I imagine?
It is so putrid I cannot even describe it! I dump it into a large glass of water and just down it- it's pretty horrifying! However, alcohol tastes way worse, so what am I actually complaining about???

The bottle states it's a "refreshing" beverage when mixed with water. It's refreshing.... after you get past the gag reflex, but it really does make me feel better...
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Hi Yankee73...well done on the healthy living. About a month into my sobriety I signed up for a 90 day health challenge...the 90 days is up next week I think, but I will be continuing indefinitely. The food plan is based on stabilising your blood sugar levels, cooking healthy meals from scratch and no caffeine. Exercise is also a component of the challenge. So far I have lost over 2 stone and now run 3 times a week...when I started the challenge I could only do 60 secs of running at a time...last week I did 30 mins of non stop running which I am so proud of. A healthy lifestyle has gone hand in hand with my sobriety x
Hey Nova84! Could you post a sample of the plan? I'm especially curious as to how to stabilize my blood sugar levels, since I've had Hypoglycemia since I was a kid. And your weight loss & exercise regime is fantastic! My hat is off to you!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would also like to mention that sugar withdrawal, gluten withdrawal and processed food withdrawal is it's own special Hell... especially the sugar withdrawal- I turned into a moody, twitchy lunatic for about 5 days, but in the end, it's worth it because I don't crave that stuff any more. I actually shop for and reach for healthy stuff. I log my daily food on My Fitness Pal to keep myself honest and to see where I tend to overeat, even with healthy stuff... cheese, I will never give up cheese...

I got a little lazy & sloppy a few weeks ago when I was moving (I moved everything myself in my little car after work for like, 10 days straight and I had an hour commute and blah blah blah, excuses). I ate like a teenager and felt like an old woman! Sluggish, dull, foggy... just blech!!!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do apple cider vinegar for candida too- as well as garlic and coconut oil xo
No gluten, sugar or wheat.
Well I try at least ha
Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I use ACV too. I have a love/hate relationship with it. When I first heard of it years ago, I went out and bought it from a local store - just the regular kind beside the white vinegar. It as very nasty. I was trying to just down it (like tequila) with a chaser. Then after doing some research on the internet found out that it needs to be the one with the "mother" in it. I used to buy Bragg's at GNC, but now my Walmart carries Heinz unfiltered ACV and I buy that. I put a bit in a plastic tupperware cup and add water, drink it straight down. Sometimes the flavor bothers me and sometimes I can drink it all day. I've heard lots of people put it in juice to cut down on the taste. I think it's a good thing for me.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drink it like a shot too.
But if you put it in hot water with lemon and honey it's not that bad- still bad though haha
Old 05-08-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I want to cry just thinking about it.

ETA: Not sure if I can try it as part of my port-rehab plan involves taking antabuse. Will ACV trigger a reaction? Definitely don't want to risk that.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I want to cry just thinking about it.

ETA: Not sure if I can try it as part of my port-rehab plan involves taking antabuse. Will ACV trigger a reaction? Definitely don't want to risk that.

I'm not sure about that, so I'm going the tried and true advice route and saying you prob want to check with your doctor or pharmacist!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Yankee73,

I stopped drinking January 1st and started Weight Watchers at the same time. I have lost 28 pounds so far, and would like to lose another 20, this would put me back at my pre-pregnancy weight (my kids are 8, 11 &12). I was a wine girl which had a lot of calories, and then I would be hungry late at night and eat junk.

I just decided that 2016 would be the year of a healthier me. I like WW because I can still eat what I want, I just need to do so in moderation. I have also increased my exercise.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Apple cider vinegar is my holy grail! Use it for just about everything
Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wish I could stop eating cheesecake!
I can't stop eating it - I'm going to be the size of a house!
x
Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread, Yankee.

I decided, since I had stopped drinking, to try a low-carb diet. I did this in early February this year, about 6 weeks into sobriety, and it made a huge difference. It was like my body flipped a switch metabolically speaking. I lost 6 lbs quite quickly - in a few weeks.

I quit bread, pasta, noodles and rice. I also have been non-dairy for a number of years. I eat a bit of fruit but otherwise, it's mainly protein and fat, but real food, very little that is processed.

I exercise everyday which is my way of keeping sober.

I love the feeling of looking after my body properly after years of abusing it with alcohol. It's a blessing. I look after my body and it looks after me.