Notices

Alcohol dreams

Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol dreams

As some of you may know I'm just over 8 weeks sober and currently on holiday in a foreign country.
I had the most bizarre dream last night - I was in my old local and I drunk three quarters of pint of strongbow before realising, I then rung a mate to tell them I was back on the drink if he wanted to join me- woke up and had to spend a few mins reflecting if it had happened.
Anyone else ever had this.?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had drinking dreams in early recovery. I rarely get them now, six years on. It's just your mind processing stuff. It's only a dream. Don't let it bother you. As long as you're sober in your waking life, that's what counts.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I literally just woke from one. 9 months sober they still pop up and can be quite alarming.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm just over a year and had one. It's feels so real. Thank god it wasn't.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
As some of you may know I'm just over 8 weeks sober and currently on holiday in a foreign country.
I had the most bizarre dream last night - I was in my old local and I drunk three quarters of pint of strongbow before realising, I then rung a mate to tell them I was back on the drink if he wanted to join me- woke up and had to spend a few mins reflecting if it had happened.
Anyone else ever had this.?
I'm 2 months sober and have had several dreams like this. I'd say it is pretty common.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

I think drinking dreams are pretty common, at 1 yr, 4 mths sober they crop up every so often for me. I quit smoking over 9 years ago and I still have the occasional smoking dream.

I always feel relieved when I wake up and realize it was just a dream.

Just remember it is only a dream, nothing more.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had one last night and was so disappointed in the dream, I felt so happy to wake up and realise it was just a dream!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Very very very common in recovery, especially early on. My dad has been sober for 33 years now, he told me he still had those drinking dreams occasionally for a couple of years. They're not really dreams though, are they? They're nightmares. Glad I don't have to live that way in my real life today.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Strangely enough, I rarely (if ever) have or had drinking dreams. And if I did, they were in a time frame of 20+ years ago. Glad it was a dream. Keep going.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

23.5 months Sober and they are routine. Especially around anniversaries. Here's what I've started doing. When I'm drinking in a dream and I realize it's a dream, I just have fun. When I wake up, all is well.

Dreams are just our mind's way of processing our day.

~Bunnez
Old 05-05-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

22 months sober and still have vivid dreams involving alcohol though much less frequently these days. And they still cause me to go into panic mode for the few moments it takes to realise it wasn't real. Nothing at all for you to worry about - if anything I think these dreams make me realise how great it is to be sober
Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey there!

I've had drinking dreams or nightmares where I wake up (in the dream) after drinking and experiencing memory loss, something I absolutely hate even if I didn't do anything too embarrassing, and I think omg, what did I do. Then I suddenly wake up and realize it's a dream.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have them all the time, they always revolve around the stress/pain of hiding alcohol.

I never had them when I was drinking but that's probably because I was passed out.