Notices

I Miss You Sleep!!!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Miss You Sleep!!!

Day 45 of sobriety, and day 45 of very broken sleep. I am steadfast and unwavering in my decision to embrace sobriety, but this insomnia is really impacting my life.

I practice good sleep hygiene. Maybe part of it is that husband snores very loudly which I probably missed before because I'd essentially pass out from drinking wine at night.

I rotate between my nice comfortable bed with the noise, and the couch downstairs multiple times per night. I don't drift off until 1am at the earliest - last week I was up until 4am.

I've tried melatonin and OTC sleeping pills. No dice.

I desperately miss the oblivion of sleep - the respite for my brain.

Those of you with long term sobriety - do you remember when sleep finally did return?

I am going to try my hardest to nap this afternoon, as I am very cranky and tearful.

Thanks all.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have a doctor that you can talk to and get medicine to help you sleep at night?

I wasn't sleeping basically at all and even some prescription sleeping medicines weren't working and after an evaluation I found I had bipolar type 2 disorder and that I needed antipsychotics to fall asleep at night. I now sleep like a rock but if I hadn't reached out to a doctor I would have never been able to remedy the situation.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Everyone in early sobriety is different. Sleep has not been an issue for me but I know insomnia is very common for many. I'm on day 50. I second AdelineRose's question--have you gone to see a doctor about your sleep issues? Be upfront about your drinking if you do go.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No I haven't been to the doctor - no health insurance at the moment.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I snore and my girlfriend snores .. we have a box fan we turn on every night that masks the sound of the snoring. It started simply as her being used to the sound of a fan to sleep .. but I'm realizing it has benefits.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I hope this helps

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-to...thy-sleep-tips
Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you getting any moderate exercise? If I don't get in 30 minutes a day, my sleep is fitful.

For the record though - I've been sober for quite a while. The first few months are pretty rough sleep-wise. The first month I don't think I slept through the night once. I did learn that if I got out of bed and had some milk and toast or even just hot cocoa I could go back to sleep.

Nowadays I really do need to get in my walk, though.

I feel your pain on the snoring. That's why I sleep alone.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 45 is fantastic!!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the congrats.

Bimini I typically walk between 4 and 8 miles a day. The night snacking is what eventually sends me into sleep (the broken sleep, but better than staring at the four walls).
Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 45!

I use rX sleep aids to help in early sobriety. Stick to a regular bed time and wake schedule. I found it easy to wean off the sleep aids if I stuck to a schedule and exercised regularly.
I would talk to your Dr if you keep struggling long term. Sleep is so important to mental and overall health.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you think your husband would be OK with you suggesting anti-snoring aids, as proper 8-hour sleeps are invaluable when you're newly sober? Also, the backwards and forwards between bed and couch would drain anyone (I've done this for exactly your reason!). If you're having a really hard day, a full night's sleep on the couch in the quiet will probably recharge you a lot better. Best.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a month or two to get good sleep again. I'd see the doctor if it doesn't get better soon.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi madgirl. Today, I am six months sober. I drank regularly for 25 years. The last 10 years, I've worked my consumption up to 2+ bottles of wine per night. For years my method of getting to sleep was passing out and at the end of my drinking career, I think I was just drinking so I could "sleep".
So when I quit, sleeping was a huge issue. I did not see a doctor for it. I tried various natural sleep aiding supplements, some worked, some didn't.
Now, a bad night sleep is just the rare to occasional thing. And I never thought I would sleep well without alcohol.
I know my brain is still healing and I have to be patient for all the things I think a sober life should hold.
Hang in there, it'll get better with time.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm posting this in a minute

Healthy sleep ? recharge your batteries | Go Sober Wellbeing

https://www.ted.com/talks/andy_puddi...indful_minutes
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. Last night I did enjoy unbroken sleep from midnight until quarter of eight - so things will hopefully be improving.