Notices

Finger wagging tsk tsk

Old 04-21-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finger wagging tsk tsk

If it wasn't clear, I thought this was meant to be the safe forum for newbies but I am reading a lot more finger wagging (I can picture it) and lack of patience from some of the replies on here ,and I don't mean all my own posts ,than I expected. I had a counselor who described me as a hypersensitive person and she was right. I believe that plenty of people who abuse alcohol can be described that way. You don't grow a tough skin over night. There are people on here who need good advice based on the experiences of sober members but filtered through a lot of empathy.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If there are responses that you feel are inappropriate you can always report them to site administrators using the little red triangle in the lower left corner. There is also an ignore user feature if there are particular users who you'd not care to read responses from. SR is open to all and there will be a wide variety of responses to all issues.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read a post from Dee where he addressed the same issue. I haven't seen it but I'm in a bit of a weird position right now.

Dee, care to respond to this. And I asked in your previous thread, but am I one of the people you were talking about?
Old 04-21-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Report a Post button is for that purpose.

Please let me know the posts you find that are inappropriate or breaking rules.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would add that we work very hard to keep the Newcomers forum a warm and inviting place for all. I appreciate all the generous and kind members we have who help each other through the early days of recovery.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nobody here is guilty even if I felt like naming people , but I just wanted to suggest that a short curt reply is not helpful. My nerves and others'nerves are kind of raw right now. I don't know why but I started bawling because Prince died. I didn't know him, never saw him. When I still worked and had to train people I had to remind myself constantly to be patient because I saw the same mistakes and heard the same questions for years on end. I was no saint believe me. I used to tell them the most outlandish fibs to keep myself sane, but I always told them I was kidding. Boy I sure am being nostalgic.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what it means to feel really raw and take things personally. I understand.

The internet is tough. So much can be read into a post....tone, personality, emotion, that might simply not be there. I have also learned the 'style' of some of the regular posters here...and it can be perceived as curt, but I don't think its meant that way.

For me to recover it is so important for me to try not to take things personally. To take what works for me and leave what doesn't. That includes people. I don't have to have a tough skin per se, just the ability not to attach to words that seem insensitive. My self esteem and sense of myself need to come from within. As a codependent I tend to let people's words define how I feel about myself. It is imperative that I don't do this....I try to read with some detachment...simply read the message and don't project anything into it.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I read a post from Dee where he addressed the same issue. I haven't seen it but I'm in a bit of a weird position right now.

Dee, care to respond to this. And I asked in your previous thread, but am I one of the people you were talking about?
LOL I just woke up - I feel like I've been doorstepped by a news crew, Mike....

I'm not even sure what previous thread you mean, what I said in it, or how it relates to this thread right now.

Maybe PM me with things like this?
------------------------

I'm sorry lonelywombat. Prince's death has knocked me a bit too. It's a rough year for celebrities.

Newcomers is a a great place tho, and like Anna said we work very hard to keep it that way.

Have you considered joining a group thread like The Class of April, Lonelywombat - there's a lot of support there
Old 04-21-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I can relate to letting things get to you. It is mostly the booze.

Many of us have anxiety that was quelled initially by booze. Later the booze caused more anxiety. It is a horror cycle.

Worrying about things I have no control over, over reacting, obsessing etc.

Then drinking while obsessing....and dealing w the aftermath. Drink. Detox. Obsess. Repeat....until my poor brain and body was a toxic waste. It took many years before I finally nearly collapsed and decided...enough!

Now that I am so clean, 346 days, the world issues seem less troubling. My focus is where it needs to be...on me and my family and friends.

Everything else.....is beginning to fade into the background. I leave work and just about forget about it. Have never been able to do that before.

It has to do w my brain not being polluted with current drug induced stimulus.

That is the answer from me.....No booze...less problems.

Thanks for the post.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey wombat I think it's important to know that almost everyone on here means well in what they say even if it seems a little blunt or as you said curt at times they are telling you something they believe will help you get/stay sober. And in my experience on here the very few who say something in poor taste are dealt with accordingly by the mods and admins.

I'm glad you are here this place is great and everyone is here to help!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not even sure what previous thread you mean, what I said in it, or how it relates to this thread right now.
I think Mike might be referring to this. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ers-forum.html
Old 04-21-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks UP.

Thats a 2013 thread.

I know I did a more recent one...but no I don't resile from anything I said there or elsewhere....

& no I was not addressing my remarks to anyone in particular.
I do that by PM

Looks like this thread is actually about something slightly different anyway....

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-21-2016 at 04:09 PM.