Notices

AA meeting, nervous and can't sleep

Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meeting, nervous and can't sleep

Hi everyone, I went to one AA meeting a few months back and there were way too many people there and it wasn't what I expected and it wasn't for me. I keep being encouraged to go to another one and there is one by house on Saturday mornings.

I told my doctor a few weeks ago about my drinking so I could get my liver tested and she offered to go with me. I have tried to go to this meeting a couple of times and end up just sitting in my car because I get too nervous to go in. We are supposed to go tomorrow morning, in about 9 hours actually. I have been worrying about it all week and now I can't sleep, can barely breathe and feel like I might be sick. My doctor is great and I am glad she offered to go with me but it almost makes it more stressful. On the plus side, if she weren't going with me I wouldn't be going tomorrow. I am just so nervous. I wish I was someone who could just take life as it came and not worry about everything all of the time. The meeting tomorrow is a discussion meeting and I am worried about that but I called the local AA office and they said this would be an okay meeting to go to. I don't really want to talk anymore than I have to, especially at the first meeting. I am not good in groups of people I don't know and get overwhelmed easily. Anyway, I am hoping by posting it will relieve some stress . I will be glad in about 11 hours when this is all over. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It''s actually a huge thing for your Dr to want to take the time to go with you Emme

I hope you get some rest and enjoy the meeting Emme
Old 04-16-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds like you have a great doctor

I know what it's like to let anxiety build and build but I always find that things are never as bad as I built them to be in my head.
AA is great and has helped many people but I could never consistently go due to my anxiety. I explored a lot of different approaches to recovery and found what resonated with me.
I hope you go ok at the meetings and I think your brave for going through this, remember you can say that you are just listening if you want to.

Hang in there and I really hope the meeting goes well for you
Old 04-16-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Emme!

How bout trying an all women meeting? I always felt like a fool sharing. I'm soft spoken to top it off. Feel like nobody can hear me anyway!

I think I'm ready to check out a small ladies meeting again.

Take care.

Olivia.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Olivia, this is a women's meeting . The first meeting I went to was so much bigger than I expected. I keep saying around 50 people but I bet there were at least double that. I am hoping since this is a women's only meeting it will be smaller. I do better in smaller groups. I hope you find a ladies meeting that works for you
Old 04-16-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Every one of those people in the meeting were new once too .

Hopefully you'll get to see sober people living good lives , showing an example of how they are doing it .

good luck .
Old 04-16-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

it's great you have a Dr going with you Emme & there is no obligation to share if you don't want x
Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm happy you have such a good doctor that she wants to come with you. And yeah, for you it's something you get very nervous about right now. But if you go more often, you will get used to it. It's just like with many new things.

And if you go, just tell your doctor how you feel. She can help you feel better.

I really hope you go (or went, I don't know exactly when it is/was).
Old 04-16-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its all cool, just know this is your anxiety speaking here hun, it IS nerve wracking walking into a AA meeting for the first time, but you will find everyone there will be warm and welcoming, they were all new comers too once. You dont have to discuss anything, just listen x

Im glad you have support, your doctor sounds amazing x Good luck let us know how it goes x
Old 04-16-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck for your meeting. As others have said, you don't have to say anything of you don't want to. And having someone walk in with you will be helpful. I know that getting through the door was the hardest part for me. Let us know how you get on.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I began baking goodies to bring to
my meetings to help me remain
responsible for my own recovery
and help ease the anxiety of meeting
new folks.

They could see me walking from
the parking lots, greeting me with
smiles and excitement as to see
what I had baked for them.

They eagerly held the door for me
and like vultures they followed me
to the kitchen and table where the
coffee was set up.

I was sooooo happy to be doing
something so easy to contribute
to all my meetings as I saw it as
my service work that help me remain
sober for some 25 yrs now.

I absolutely loved surprising all
my AA family members for a long
time. What an awesome gift in
recovery to give and receive.

Continue on your journey and road
thru recovery to achieve so many
wonderful gifts waiting for you and
is written in the Big Book of AA for
you to read and ready to receive.

If you dont bake, then there are many lovely
delicious dessert trays at Walmart or
your local grocery stores to pick up or
even a pack or 2 of cookies on the shelf
or whatever you chose for the noon hour
for hungry folks. Chips, crackers, fruit,
veggies, any kind of finger foods.

Many folks go to meetings on their
lunch hour and are hungery so whatever
you bring im sure will be greatly appreciated
to go along with their cups of coffee.

Enjoy..!!!!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They are just a bunch of old drunks, you may have seen some of them at the bar! The good thing is they won't ask you to buy them a drink and they will give you free cofee. Win win!

I've never heard of a doctor offering to take you to a meeting for an hour, I hope you go!!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you again everyone for your comments

I am back from the meeting. This was a much smaller group, there were 17 women there including my doctor and myself. Everyone was really nice and some gave me their phone numbers. I probably won't call anyone but thought it was a nice anyway. I introduced myself and talked to some people one on one at the end but didn't share during the meeting. I liked this meeting much better than the last one and I am glad I went. I am still not 100% sure it is really for me but I will go to a few more meetings and see how it goes. Thanks again
Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Emme, the main thing is that you are taking action. Anything you do to promote your recovery and to feel better about yourself and your life is great.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fab news! Im glad the meeting went well for you. Keep going back - I wasnt sure about AA at first - its my safety net now. I dont know what I would do without them x Give yourself a huge pat on the back, its not easy to walk in them rooms and you did it! Well done you
Old 04-16-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

that's great Emme and make use of the phone numbers of people they are a lifesaver it's always good having a trusted friend who gets it on the other end plus you always have us

You done amazing Emme
Old 04-16-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's great news!! You made my day! I didn't share for for a long time, please don't ever feel pressured to do so! Just listen for a while, you will know when the time comes!

Per Anna's comment.. You are taking action, that's a huge first step! Kudos to you! It's all about Progress not Perfection, we are not saints!!

That's some Doctor you have! You are truly blessed to have a person like that in your life! Keep up the great work!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i suggest ya pick up a copy of the big book and read it to learn truly what aa is about.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

tomsteve, I do have a copy of the big book and I've read a little of it but I'll admit not much. I will read it.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Emme, you definitely don't need to say anything! The first month I simply said "Hi, I'm Saskia and I'm an alcoholic." Nothing else for that whole first month. Very gradually I started saying more. I know I didn't need to even say that much but it helped me.