Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel like the first 6 months had more downs then ups??

Notices

Anyone else feel like the first 6 months had more downs then ups??

Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm with you on this NFNB. The first few months was a rollercoaster ride and then after that things started smoothing out gradually. Hang in there and it WILL get better! It does take time.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer View Post
Anna , I try meditation , but then every muscle in my body starts to hurt and lockup..Then one of the 3 kids need something , or Father in Law needs something... ...Very very very little meditation time...

Heck , if I could just stop the constant leg , arm and neck burning , it would be a start I guess.

I'll have to read more about meditation when I get the chance ..
Hi NFNB
I think being all over the place emotionally is really normal. For me accepting how I'm feeling and just trying to let it be, observe my emotions but don't judge, helps.
The adrenaline is also pretty normal. It can make you manic even if you're not clinically bipolar. Meditation, by itself, is very difficult when you're in this state. I find that doing yoga, a moving meditation, is much easier. The poses give my body an outlet for that energy, keep muscles from cramping, but I still calm my mind and focus on my breath. Yoga journal online can show you basic postures to move through while you meditate. Or you can try a local studio. Absolutely makes all the difference in the world. Many rehabs now have yoga because they recognize the power it has in recovery. There is also a 12 step yoga, Y12 or something like that. Its truly amazing.

Youtube also has guided meditations that I think are much easier for beginners.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you! Lifes circumstances just keep going WFO (Bike term) on me at this point... Sons being taken to the Hospital with Grampa right now with possible appendicitis while I am at work...Just a new occurrence , on top of many more this past week...Just non stop around here as of late...I am stuck in a rut of "What now , great..what now..What now!"... Didn't Dee say something about things get REAL REAL quick???!!"
Old 04-13-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yoga! I have an image in my head of a 215lb 45 yr old dude (me) in yoga pants after eating 3 burritos trying to do any sort of bending and curling right now..

Somehow Jack Black comes into my mind....

Anyways, I will have look , but if a room full of lafter is what we are after here, then me and Yoga may just fit the bill..
Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The first few times I really tried to quit I found hard but this time around I haven't. For some reason this time has been totally different from the outset. I think I'd pushed myself too far this time around and so knew if I didn't totally embrace it I may not get another chance. I think ones reason for change has to be unshakable to work but as always there are so many other factors to consider.
Just keep in mind that despite how bad your life will be better without alcohol no matter what.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

holy crap was the 1st 6 months a roller coaster!!! i was a miserable wreck when i got sober. as time went on i was just a wreck. that was progress!
what kept me going was those little glimmers of happyness and peace.
i kept trudging , learning about me, and how to live life on lifes terms.
now i have way more ups than downs and i know how to handle the downs and have accepted some downs are part of life.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have to say that if you're experiencing derealisation I wouldn't recommend meditation. For anxiety, definitely. But for derealisation I think you would risk getting even more unreal.

I would suggest grounding exercises. If you google it you'll find plenty of examples. They are things that keep us rooted in reality.

One type of grounding exercises involve the senses. For example, carrying a bottle of peppermint oil to smell, touching a stone that you carry in your pocket, counting the number of objects in your vicinity that are red.

Another type of grounding exercise is orientation. An example would be to keep stopping and thinking about which direction your home is in from where you currently are.

It might sound basic, but the basics are what it's about.

I think having tests is good, and I'd encourage you not to predict or pre-judge anything that might come out of it. Because you've talked about derealisation, multiple critical events and in particular a car crash, you might need to see a bigger picture here rather than simply looking at anxiety, or the early months of sobriety in general. Tests can help look at all that, and if necessary get you to appropriate treatment.

You are who you are, regardless. By which I mean that firstly you are a person, you are you, whether you get a diagnosis of a mental health issue or not. Secondly, whatever is going on for you is going on for you whether you identify it or not. If it happens to be something with a name then the only difference that makes is that now you can understand better and get help.

Good luck.