Notices

I want to drink...

Old 04-08-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

I need to say that, though it's statistically rare, cardiac arrest and death from a combination of other side effects while drinking on Antabuse, are possible.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is an excerpt from an article called "How Bad is Antabuse," from The FIx

But when a person drinks with Antabuse in their system, they suffer amplified hangover effects—headaches, nausea, chest pain, weakness, blurred vision, mental confusion, sweating, choking, breathing difficulty, heart palpitations and anxiety. Then they vomit. And vomit. And vomit.

The above certainly sounds absolutely horrible.

Hope you are still doing well.:-)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stick with us Charx
Old 04-09-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Trust me, it is HORRENDOUS. I drank 10 days after my last dosage (and I was on 1/4 of a pill, so a low dose) Get it? 10 days after a low dosage I drank and it was the worst thing imaginable. I was in a restaurant, had one glass of wine, asked for another, got a few sips in and started sweating uncontrollably, nausea, dizziness, I was sure I was going to faint. I said I needed to use the bathroom but slipped outside the restaurant to get some fresh air. I sat down on the sidewalk and an old lady passed and gasped when she saw me, she bent down and said "god almighty, do you need an ambulance?" I was DRENCHED in sweat and sure I was dying. I barely got out the words, "no, just go inside and find my companions" She went in and they came running out, they said she had come out and yelled to the dining room "there is an American girl outside, she needs help"
DO NOT DRINK ON ANTABUSE.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

How are you doing this morning charx?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am so glad that you didn't attempt to drink whist on the Antabuse. It's particularly nasty. Think seasicknessX10. You'll feel great tomorrow morning when you wake up sober, but don't celebrate it!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Charx, how are you doing today?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
EndGame

I think it's important that you know that you're at the highest recommended dose of Antabuse, and that you can experience serious side effects two weeks or more after you stop taking it while drinking.

Let us know how you're doing.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm doing better today. I am working first shift and it seems to go better for me than working at night as I get very bored at my full-time night job. However, I don't plan on drinking. Going to stay in good company tonight and keep a positive mind set. Thank you all for your support and kind words.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks char. We were worried about you
Old 04-09-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in charx, a lot of people were worried about you.
One thing that always bothered me about antabuse is that is made it impossible to drink but did absolutely nothing to deal with tough cravings or desires. there are other medications out there that can help lessen cravings. If I were you I would bring that up with your doctor next time you meet with her or him. If I recall correctly it was presented as an option for me so I think it is possible to take both at the same time, but again, only your doctor would know and would be able to prescribe such a medication. The two I hear most commonly referred to are naltrexone and campral. Campral definitely lessened my cravings. But as with any medication used to help you through the difficulties of alcoholism, they are not cures, only something that can give you a boost. You need a solid plan in place outside of the medication in order to have a chance at making this work.

Lastly, again, don't even think about drinking while the antabuse is in your system. And it will be there for at least two weeks after your last dosage, possibly longer. It is no joke. Had it only been some vomiting for me I may have not been so shaken but I assure you, for some people, myself included, it is much, much worse than nausea and vomiting.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks fir checking in! Xoxo