Notices

First craving rears it's ugly head

Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First craving rears it's ugly head

Day 3 here, my typical tipping point. Incredibly, after my disgusting binge on Monday and the fear and loathing that was present all day Tuesday and Wednesday, my AV is trying to tell me that I don't really have a problem and that I could just have one.

Except I know, I KNOW it won't just be one. I just can't believe how soon a craving has appeared. Insanity!

Anyway, as per my plan, I am here posting. I'm going to eat something and drink a cup of tea. I'm hungry (trigger!). And then I'm going to spend half an hour decluttering.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 3 & reaching out
Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you reached out and followed a different outcome noneever

D
Old 04-06-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi noover
As I saw your thread that you are interested in Smart. Here are a couple of techiniques. "Play the Tape"
Sit down and imagine yourself drinking. After the first couple of hours, what will happen? If you cannot stop yourself having the first drink, when your mind is fully functional, how will you stop having more once you start? Alcohol lowers inhibitions, so once you start, how will you stop?

I don't know about you, but after the first couple of drinks, the craving for more gets WORSE with me, not better.
After 3 days sober, your body still THINKS it needs alcohol to survive, if you continue to feed it to it, it will never get to the point where it KNOWS it doesn't

Think about 6 hours after you started drinking. How will you feel then?
If you are still drinking, you will be getting in a worse and worse state, how will you stop?
If you have stopped, what was the point? Your problems are still there, you feel like shite because you have just fed poison to yourself.
Do cba....a cost benefit analyis, what do you get out of drinking? What benefits? What is the cost to you in drinking? eg. low self worth, feeling a failure.
Write it down, so it sticks better.
Are you going to stay drinking the rest of your life after you start now? No? Then if you cave now you are going to have to face ANOTHER day 1 day 2 and day 3.
Urges are just urges, they don't go when drinking starts..they increase, you are doing good by distracting yourself..urges pass if you ride them out!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good job telling on your addiction. Keep checking in and posting here, once a minute if that's what it takes. Remember you really don't have to take that first drink today no matter what ugly lies or seemingly sweet reasoning your addiction is throwing at you. Keep on keeping on!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lein View Post
Hi noover
As I saw your thread that you are interested in Smart. Here are a couple of techiniques. "Play the Tape"
Sit down and imagine yourself drinking. After the first couple of hours, what will happen? If you cannot stop yourself having the first drink, when your mind is fully functional, how will you stop having more once you start? Alcohol lowers inhibitions, so once you start, how will you stop?

I don't know about you, but after the first couple of drinks, the craving for more gets WORSE with me, not better.
After 3 days sober, your body still THINKS it needs alcohol to survive, if you continue to feed it to it, it will never get to the point where it KNOWS it doesn't

Think about 6 hours after you started drinking. How will you feel then?
If you are still drinking, you will be getting in a worse and worse state, how will you stop?
If you have stopped, what was the point? Your problems are still there, you feel like shite because you have just fed poison to yourself.
Do cba....a cost benefit analyis, what do you get out of drinking? What benefits? What is the cost to you in drinking? eg. low self worth, feeling a failure.
Write it down, so it sticks better.
Are you going to stay drinking the rest of your life after you start now? No? Then if you cave now you are going to have to face ANOTHER day 1 day 2 and day 3.
Urges are just urges, they don't go when drinking starts..they increase, you are doing good by distracting yourself..urges pass if you ride them out!
This is great. Someone on here summed it up perfectly.

At best yet have an hour or whatever of buzz you were chasing and then the rest is downhill . You may achieve the "feeling" you want but then spend the other 22 hours of the day feeling hungover, ashamed, and in my case, shaky with withdrawals.

I say 22 hours because my sleep was terrible when I was drinking. It was a full 24 hour cycle. Of hangover, drink, sick, restless sleep, repeat.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drank the tea, ate the food. Didn't get decluttering but instead spent 25 mins wrestling to get the doona cover on the doona.

I'm all over the shop today. One minute I'm feeling calm and centred, the next I feel like I'm going to burst into tears.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to feel all over the map in early recovery. Stay sober and your feelings will settle down. It gets better.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, the first few days are very emotional and horrible. A doctor told me before, that when you drink, it depresses all of your nervous system and emotions. When you stop and it starts recovering, it's like letting go of a spring, so everything bursts into life at once.
If you are still having trouble with urges, go back and read your "Terrified" post.
I hate reading my Day One post back, but it did the job in the first few days
Take Care
Old 04-07-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
Day 3 here, my typical tipping point. Incredibly, after my disgusting binge on Monday and the fear and loathing that was present all day Tuesday and Wednesday, my AV is trying to tell me that I don't really have a problem and that I could just have one.

Except I know, I KNOW it won't just be one. I just can't believe how soon a craving has appeared. Insanity!

Anyway, as per my plan, I am here posting. I'm going to eat something and drink a cup of tea. I'm hungry (trigger!). And then I'm going to spend half an hour decluttering.
Its the damn 3-day trick. You feel better now so you think it will be different. We both know the truth, it won't be any different and it won't be just one. We must soldier through these tough times. You can do it. Stay busy and full of food.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How are you doing now, noneever?
Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a good plan for the day!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work