Notices

Starting seroquel

Old 04-06-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting seroquel

I just got off the phone with the doctor and I'm starting seroquel.

A long, long time ago. Long before alcohol was in my life, I had a bad psychosis. My unusual behavior here was a cause of concern to me afterward, but I remember one thing in particular that made me pick up the phone.

It was the idea that I can read people's minds. I don't know if I even wrote it down, but it was in my mind at the time.

I have experience with seroquel. I haven't used it for many years, but if something odd happens in my mind, it clears me right up. So I'm starting today and if I keep having trouble, I can get admitted.

An unexpected turn, but I think it'll be fine eventually. I hope that being admitted won't be necessary but I will do it without hesitation if it is.

Fortunately I know that seroquel works well and I hope to be able to stay at home so I can participate here. It's day 57 btw!!
Old 04-06-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mike
First of all congrats on reaching day 57, an amazing achievement. I know nothing about psychosis or the associated drugs so I cannot comment on that. Just really wanted to say I am glad to see you are still here, I read your threads recently and was concerned for you.
This is all a life changing process, we've just got to go the extra mile to ensure we have the future we want and deserve.
Take care
Elle
Old 04-06-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Elle. I've come out a place like this before, so I can do it again. And the first time was much worse.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great Mike. Recognizing that you need to take action with respect to mental illness is not easy. I take a very low dose of Seroquil at night to treat anxiety and PTSD. 50mg. And the side effect is great sleep. Its a powerful drug but if its well tolerated it works great. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with seroquel to share but I certainly hope it helps

congrats on day 57 Mike

D
Old 04-06-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
That's great Mike. Recognizing that you need to take action with respect to mental illness is not easy. I take a very low dose of Seroquil at night to treat anxiety and PTSD. 50mg. And the side effect is great sleep. Its a powerful drug but if its well tolerated it works great. Good luck!
I take a small dose as well, just to sleep. And it quiets down the stressful thoughts.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear you talked to your doctor and that this med has helped before...
I've been worried about you. You didn't sound like you.

Sending you a hug.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mike, I too am glad you called the doc. I did read your post where you shared that you could read people's minds, and I did think it was odd. But hey, who am I to be calling anyone else's thinking odd, I work hard just to keep my own thoughts from going off the rails!

Congratulations on day 57, you have came a long way!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Mike!

I was diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder several years ago, and take an anti-psychotic as well as an anti-depressant. Be sure to monitor your doses--I have a dispenser that I fill with the medication for a week, so I can see whether or not I have taken my doses.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hopefully Serequel can help with your delusions Mike 🙂
Old 04-06-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good on you for acting on the front end of symptoms. That line on knowing other's thoughts and some other content of your posts had caught my attention too (my spouse has bipolar including psychosis and some other features that looked a bit familiar, so I tend to pick up on things). Seroquel is a good reinforcement of sobriety too: it does not play well with alcohol. Congrats on being on the 60 day cusp - you're doing really well.