Notices

Day 4

Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

So here i am on detox day 4 after deciding to go cold turkey after the mother of all benders.I won't lie this has been one of the hardest things i can remember.I've shaken like a shitting dog for the first 2 days i thought i'd lost my mind & there was no getting it back many times.I've been exhausted just going upstairs & drenched in sweat by the time i've reached the bottom.Just walking the dogs round the field made me feel dizzy (7 weeks ago i was cycling everywhere & spending 2-3 hours in the gym daily).My eyesights been really strained not sure about that one, memory & concentrations almost non existant but improving (normally takes about a week) all because of alcohol.This is undoubtedly the closest i've come to going insane or worse dying.

I wouldn't recommend this sudden 'Cold turkey' method to anyone & would suggest seeking a bit of medical advise to anyone after a huge bender like mine.I guess i was angry with my self for putting my body/mind through 7 weeks of abuse and just wanted to punish myself and feel some pain if that makes any sense.I've gorged myself on food, good & bad & would recommend anyone stopping drinking doing that to raise the fatty acids & sugars.I didn't really eat for the last 6 days of my bender so my poor body was craving nutrition, not good when your 18 stone.

So where do i go from here on the road to recovery & a healthy, happy life?I'm going to start back in the gym this week with a couple of long steam room sessions before any heavy lifting.Book myself an eyetest just for peace of mind (blind drunk at times).Diet will be sorted out again (can anyone recommend any vitamins i maybe lacking after all that?).Finally i shall attend my first AA meeting & sit at the back & just listen to what people have to say.I shall NEVER & i mean NEVER put my body back through this it, i physically could do it!!!

Thanks for your ears guys & i shall let you no how the recovery is going in a few days!!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt the same way you do when I finally stopped drinking. I knew it had to be the last time. I'm glad you know you need to do this now and it sounds like you have a good plan in place. And, remember SR is always here for support.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would suggest a meal replacement shake for the next few days to get the vitamins you need, especially since you didn't eat during the last days of the binge. I think it's the easiest way to get the supplements you need, that way you don't have to sort out your diet right away while detoxing.

Best of luck to you and glad to hear your moving forward! I'm right behind ya!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As has been said here before, many of us have another bender in us, but not sure about the recovery. Wish you the best.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job for making it back. We aren't supposed to give medical advice but talk to your dr. about supplements. I know that alcoholics are generally b12, folic acid and b1 deficient. Long term B1 deficiency can cause permanent brain damage called Werneke's. B12 and Folic acid deficiency can cause anemia which zaps energy. I am a bender drinker as well and it can take weeks to get fully hydrated, and for my micro nutrients to balance. My vision is often very bad during detox and I have heard others talk of this as well.

Seeing your dr. and getting a blood workup to test your micro nutrient levels can be very revealing and can help you supplement intelligently. Be easy on yourself!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work
Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many thanks on the vitamins i knew i needed folic but wasn't to sure about the others.Mad one on the eyes though i've never suffered with weekened vision like this before even when wearing my glasses/contacts.Its not blury or out of focus just really strained, i shall ask my optician about it later this week.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi many thanks i've put alot of decent food back in, in the last 4 days & take a lot of protein shakes anyway.Was more interested in vitamins to replace anything i may have become deficiant in but cheers anyway.