Notices

Do addictions just change

Old 03-22-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Interesting topic about when dedication to something becomes addiction. I took up the guitar late in life, and knew that if I was going to get as good as I want to be before I'm too old to play any more, I'd need to put in serious practice hours. I rearranged my day and found 2-3 hours of practice time. Am I addicted to guitar? I don't know, but it's certainly a way healthier pastime than drinking. And it has an end product. I was recently on a weekend workshop for an evening course I'm taking (not music related) and while everyone else was drinking in the hotel lounge, I was playing songs for them with someone else who brought an instrument. Lots of them came up the next day to thank us for that. Beats being the person knocking back his 3rd bottle of wine, and starting the following morning session with a killer hangover.

So I guess my point is that, if you feel you have an obsessive/addictive personality, then why not try and channel it into something you find rewarding/useful.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

The longer you stay sober & the more you learn about yourself in sobriety the more you heal I know that to be true