Notices

Is it normal

Old 03-17-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it normal

to obsess about alcohol when you're told not to ever have it again? I'm in an IOP and know I have an alcohol problem (I binge up to 3x a week, and once in a great while have drank multiple days in a row, it has affected my life negatively), but find it so strange that prior to this I never obsessed about it like I do now being told not to drink. It isn't physical cravings (and I've never had withdrawal, accept some mild anxiety), but now I look at everything on the topic. Weight gain/loss in sobriety, moderation management, symptoms of alcoholic, etc. I feel more fatalistic now then I did when I wouldn't fully admit I had a problem.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think this is why the slogan "One Day at a Time" is so powerful even though it sounds so simple. If I think that I will NEVER drink again, I will freak, grab a bottle of anything and that is the end. I cannot think in absolutes, and as an alcoholic, I have a tendency to be black and white, all or nothing. So, today I choose to be sober. Tomorrow will figure itself out.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it certainly takes some time to adjust. As addicts we are used to instant gratification and that trait does not change overnight. Doing research is good, but don't overdo it....you can diagnose yourself with an unlimited number of potential health issues, so stick to the basics.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it's only normal if you have an addiction to it...

in time that obsession will fade, work on it and get through the day... every day...
Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in recovery I was always thinking about it. But with more sober time, I thought about it less and less. Now it's just normal to be sober. And waking up feeling good never gets old.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its pretty normal to obsess about alcohol once its gone. You are realizing that you cant have it any more and your body still wants it due to the addiction. I am not long enough recovered to know how long the obsession lasts but all indications from others further into their recoveries on here are that it does get easier
Old 03-18-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mental obsessions can be described as urges or cravings it takes acceptance & support to get through them so keep posting & reaching out anytime you hear your AV (mental obsession)
Old 03-18-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Babescake, yes so stop doing it. Whenever I start to think like that I switch to thinking 'I will not drink just today." Nothing becomes cliche without a fair amount of truth behind it.

One Day at a Time.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
to obsess about alcohol when you're told not to ever have it again? I'm in an IOP and know I have an alcohol problem (I binge up to 3x a week, and once in a great while have drank multiple days in a row, it has affected my life negatively), but find it so strange that prior to this I never obsessed about it like I do now being told not to drink. It isn't physical cravings (and I've never had withdrawal, accept some mild anxiety), but now I look at everything on the topic. Weight gain/loss in sobriety, moderation management, symptoms of alcoholic, etc. I feel more fatalistic now then I did when I wouldn't fully admit I had a problem.
Hey there. Thanks for posting. I'm pretty similar to you and that I did not have physical withdrawals. I do have a pretty intense mental On session though. I read somewhere recently that when we do something obsessively that gives us a dopamine release our brains get trained to crave that same thing. So not only do some people develop a physical attachment but you can develop a mental one as well.