Notices

Advice on work/school during the early stages?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on work/school during the early stages?

I'm currently working on finishing up my bachelor's degree, while trying to stay sober. It's always been a challenge for me because I am in a fairly rigorous program and I had a knack of signing up for too many classes at once and massively stressing myself out, which usually resulted in drinking again.

At this point I know I am going to have to drop classes and eat the cost on tuition, and right now I am leaning towards withdrawing completely and reapplying in the fall. I'm about a semester away from graduating (would have graduated already were it not for my drinking).

I'm thinking of just picking up a job for the time being, to give me a bit more regular schedule, and help me to eat the cost of dropped classes. I think it would be easier for me, just to be able to come home after work and not stress up about upcoming schoolwork.

Anyone have any advice on this?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you were planning on finishing the semester when you were drinking, I say finish the semester sober.

When I got sober I was working, was married, had multiple responsibilities. I couldn't put life on hold while I got sober. Nor could I put off getting sober. Found out both could be accomplished. A sober life.

Learn to handle your stress in a healthy manner.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, dropping out of college was a huge weight off my shoulders and gave me more time to focus on my recovery. Like you, while I had the thought of work and deadlines on my mind I found it really difficult to quit. I lost out on some money but my sobriety is more important to me. I plan on returning to education when I've got some more sobriety under my belt.

If schoolwork is causing you to drink then cutting down on education or dropping out altogether and returning when you feel stronger is a possibility. Make sure you're not just making more time for drinking though! And make sure it's really is the right decision for you.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Put your sobriety first
Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Still haven't made a decision yet, but I did go to my first AA meeting tonight.

I wasn't sure what to make of some of the traditions but I did like the discussion portion.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with what Carl said. Finish the semester sober.