Notices

Is it a mental obsession to count days?

Old 03-12-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Personal taste. I think it's important to know your clean date though. It doesn't matter much if you use your first day not using as your clean date (like I do), or the last day you used as your clean date (like my sponsor does).

In Narcotics Anonymous they have keytags for milestones - 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, 18 months, and multiple years. I think I had about 60 days clean or so when I decided I wasn't going to count days and that all that was silly. That day I went to a meeting and a man I have a great deal of respect for shared that that day he had 8,000 days clean (he likes the multiples of 1K). He also shared that he counts every day, because they all are miracles.

I've jotted the number down in my planner every day since then.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If counting helps then do it! If not-don't worry about it.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
For me, I have to count. At least initially, then I try to wean myself from it.
However, as a person who has relapsed many times after extended periods of sobriety (up to a year), I kind of wish I would have kept counting. I dunno. You are right, to each their own. I'm counting this time, and will keep doing so.
Good luck to you! I'm on day 12.
I am similar to Leezer, I have stopped counting in the past and that is when I slipped back to drinking again. 72 days for me today.

Not counting seems to be a better strategy for some people, I think we each need to do what works best for us.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's personal.

I counted every day early in recovery and still, from time to time, check the famous SR days calculator. Counting days was, and remains, a sign of accomplishment for me. Each sober day strengthened my belief in myself and my belief that I could live a life without booze. That, in fact, I was and am doing so. In the early days, it also was a *very* helpful tool inasmuch as it gave me reason to forge ahead and not lose the progress I'd made.

Again, it's all personal.

One thing, though. In early recovery especially, why forego using an important tool that can hep build a meaningful barrier between sobriety and relapse?

940 days.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I loved counting days..even marking the days on a calendar, a visual reminder...
Every day had new challenges that I was facing sober for the first time in a long time.

There were times that if it wasn't for my visual calendar of what I had achieved and did not want to undo I could have relapsed...a mini accountable pat on the back, don't blow it!

I still count the milestones, I am hoping that as the years go by and the sober years accumulate the time will become irrelevant. : )
Old 03-12-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mental obsession? Nah.

I think it's a very human thing to do. We've been timekeeping for about 5000 years or so.

Counting days as a person in recovery or as someone who is celebrating being free from alcohol since X day in time is a way of getting perspective, and is a way to motivate or reinforce that what I'm doing is a good or right thing.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

counting makes me nervous....keeps me on edge....keeps alcohol an ISSUE for me. Yes, the first time I got sober 10 years ago...I did count days for AA just like someone else here mentioned....and I was ok then. But, when I relapsed 2 years ago...and started counting days....I found it made me nervous.

So this time I have about a month ....and I'm not counting specific days.....I will not forget the day I stopped this time.....and I'm sure I will think and count approximate time from time to time...but to make it a daily thing to count....I can't do it.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I agree with your statement, "To each his own." There's no right or wrong answer.

Right now I'm counting days because I'm only 61 days in. I plan to count up to 90, and then start counting down toward other life goals. Days until I receive broker's license. Days until I relocate. Etc.

I'm also weighing every day now, because I'm on a diet and the war is won a pound (or a half-pound) at a time. Once I'm in my target weight zone, I'll stop micro-monitoring it.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Totally a personal preference - no right or wrongs. Whatever makes ya happy. I counted the first 90 days. Hitting those 30-60-90 day milestones gave me a sense of accomplishment early on. I worked hard those first 3 months to have those little celebrations.

Some people find it stressful to count, and I get that. If that's the case, by all means don't do it. Its as much as personal preference as your favorite color.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was going to say the same thing: It's like how people view their "date". I view mine as the last day I drank, whereas others view their first day abstinent as the date. Tomato tomahto, lol. Personal preference.

But as I have truly thought more about this, for me, in early recovery it is important. Today is day 13 for me and it "feels" like a month. But it HASN'T been a month. I'm still fragile and I've relapsed enough to know that that in itself could cause me to want to stray. These 13 days have been hard-fought but resolved, but they are important to me. It's HARD to go even the first day when you are an alcoholic.

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
Personal taste. I think it's important to know your clean date though. It doesn't matter much if you use your first day not using as your clean date (like I do), or the last day you used as your clean date (like my sponsor does).

In Narcotics Anonymous they have keytags for milestones - 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, 18 months, and multiple years. I think I had about 60 days clean or so when I decided I wasn't going to count days and that all that was silly. That day I went to a meeting and a man I have a great deal of respect for shared that that day he had 8,000 days clean (he likes the multiples of 1K). He also shared that he counts every day, because they all are miracles.

I've jotted the number down in my planner every day since then.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think I'll count in the early days .. but once not drinking just becomes the norm for me, I'll probably just count the years.