Notices

I've had enough

Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've had enough

Last Sunday I was at my in laws house hanging out, having a good time. I was feeling confident and cheery and to be honest, quite buzzed.

By the time we should have been getting ready to leave I figured I would sneakily chug a few more glasses of my mother in laws wine. That's the last thing I remember.

When I woke up or "came to" I was in the hospital getting a CT scan or something. My fiance told me I fell outside our apartment and smacked my head on the concrete so he had to call an ambulance.

I was mortified. How the hell did this happen? I have a 3 month old son. I shouldn't have started drinking again after he was born. All I wanted was to have a good time, but I took it too far.

So when my fiance took me to his parents so we could pick up our baby I decided that it's time. I cannot keep drinking. This is not the life I want for my son. This is not the life I want for my family. This is not the life I want for myself.

So here I am. 26 years old. 4 days sober. I WILL do this. I'm going to live the life I want to live and I won't let alcohol stop me anymore. I believe in myself this time.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can do this! You sound very determined!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery, snowwhitequeen!

You are certainly not alone here. I truly hope to hear more from you! Read around and post often--it works if you work it!

Here's some good threads to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5845814

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5844352

Last edited by Coldfusion; 03-11-2016 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added links
Old 03-11-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The best gift you can give your new baby is a sober mom.
This may be your final wake-up call, a childhood with an alcoholic parent is rarely happy.
Great work so far!
Holly.🎋
Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snowwhitequeen View Post
Last Sunday I was at my in laws house hanging out, having a good time. I was feeling confident and cheery and to be honest, quite buzzed.

By the time we should have been getting ready to leave I figured I would sneakily chug a few more glasses of my mother in laws wine. That's the last thing I remember.

When I woke up or "came to" I was in the hospital getting a CT scan or something. My fiance told me I fell outside our apartment and smacked my head on the concrete so he had to call an ambulance.

I was mortified. How the hell did this happen? I have a 3 month old son. I shouldn't have started drinking again after he was born. All I wanted was to have a good time, but I took it too far.

So when my fiance took me to his parents so we could pick up our baby I decided that it's time. I cannot keep drinking. This is not the life I want for my son. This is not the life I want for my family. This is not the life I want for myself.

So here I am. 26 years old. 4 days sober. I WILL do this. I'm going to live the life I want to live and I won't let alcohol stop me anymore. I believe in myself this time.
Welcome and great decision to stop drinking. I have not once in.my life heard someone say they regretted NOT drinking.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great decision Snowwhite!! one you will never regret!!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is no better reason for sobriety than the responsibility of being a parent. Congratulations on your 4 days
Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and congratulations on four days of sobriety!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You sound just like me. You stopped drinking for 9 months for that baby, didn't you? So did I. You are just as important. You can stop for yourself as well. I wish I had. My baby is now 23 and I have just now quit. Do it now. I kept saying - I'll quit tomorrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow. Tomorrows turned to weeks, months, years. Their childhood goes by so fast as it is. Don't miss half of it (or more) by being drunk.
If I could do it over...
Use this site, every chance you get. Great people, amazing support.
Stay strong.
You can do this.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So proud of you!! You'll never regret your decision.

Welcome!!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic decision to get sober and stay that way Snowwhitequeen
welcome aboard

D
Old 03-11-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great decision. Personally I believe that our kids are the only thing that we should change for (other than ourselves). What a scary feeling, but unfortunately one that I think everybody in this forum has had, minus trip to the ER.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Four days sober is a great start to a wonderful life. I got sober over six years ago and don't regret a minute of it. Waking up feeling good never gets old.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As a parent who got sober in part for his kids, I can attest to the importance of raising children without the influence of alcohol in the home. Going on 5.5 months sober and enjoying every day with my little ones! Best wishes to you!
Old 03-12-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Swq,

You are relatively young to stop drinking.

You probably will have minor physical and mental issues/anguish/horrors/paranoia to deal w as far as alcohol withdrawal and healing.

If that is the case, an issue for you might be relapse guilt generated by desire to stop for your kids. Maybe not, maybe you will be gtg. But, just in case....

I binge drank hard from 17 until 50. Never desired to quit, even after multiple...close calls...with my health, the law, anti social events etc etc.

Alcohol slowly permeates every cell in our bodies. I became accustomed to being deeply poisoned.

Now clean 10 months, my daily reminder has been period paranoia or anxiety. It was horrible when I quit. I realized the only way to make it stop, besides meds, was drinking. I had been in this state for years. It was a tight rope act I was living. A horror show.

So....you likely have some of that going on. It will feel like....I could sure use a glass of wine right now....1 won't hurt. That is your brain needing that...numbing....because you are addicted to booze.

Dealing w life sober is what we addicts have to learn. I copied my wife and 12 yo. They don't drink to deal w life. They eat popcorn, watch reruns on TV etc. Then they go to bed....sober.

Anyway...I hope you get the idea....hope this helps you like it helps me.

Alcohol is poison. Get clean. Stay clean.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Having children really motivated me to change my drinking--taking care of little ones while having a hangover was not fun. At all. I was in the early stages of alcoholism at the time, and I'm convinced my children saved me.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Having the responsibility of raising a child is a great motivator for getting sober. I am sure as the sober days add up you will have many thoughts of how terrible the situations could have been if you blacked out while your child was with you alone. That would frighten the heck out of any sober mother. So glad you chose to quit and be thankful you have support. Drinking can and will take away everything you treasure. Choose to keep what matters to you most. Your life, your family, your self-respect, your dreams, your future, etc. ALCOHOL DOES NOT WANT YOU TO HAVE ANY OF THESE! It is disguised as a friend that makes false promises and fake solutions to problems. Once you see it as it really is, you will be happy that to decided to quit for good!
Welcome to SR! ♡CR
Old 03-12-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I realized I was a "drunk" very early on too...at around 17....and I went on to have 2 kids. Nothing stopped me. One of my children had open heart surgery...sadly, I saw this as a reason to stay home from work and drink MORE....because after all....I had a lot of pressure.

Its very hard not to drink if you are an alcoholic. I have found that in the first few days of stopping I am all gun hoe...then...the cravings come. I wish you the best for you and your family. But, don't think you are a terrible person if you slip again. This alcoholism stuff is very powerful. For me it was more powerful than the love I had for ANYONE...including my children.

Never quit trying to quit.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

snowwhitequeen - Excellent decision! I have two children and my sobriety has helped us grow exponentially.

I highlighted your sentence above, because I believe it is the key for getting and staying sober. You must do it for yourself first. And then everyone around you will benefit from that.

Learn what a serious recovery "Plan" is, create it, and live it. I know you can do this.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

You are SO smart to draw the line in the sand right now! Do this, kick it to the curb, get it out of your life and you and your child and family will enjoy a very bright future!