Notices

Why Recovery is So Difficult

Old 02-20-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post!

A couple thoughts: I agree that many doctors/psychologists etc do not understand addiction. It's ignorance. I just stopped seeing my psychologist yesterday because she told me I wasn't really an alcoholic & just have PTSD. She actually gave me permission to drink if our therapy sessions got to hard! Really?!? I'm an alcoholic!!!

Second, in regards to AA. For me I NEED the face to face support. I need to be around other human beings who don't drink & understand me. Alcoholism thrives on isolation. I have tried for years to do it without AA & I fail. I think at the very least AA is good for support & fellowship. I believe in God but you don't have to believe to go to AA. A higher power is encouraged. That can be anything...your dog, a door knob, the universe, the sun etc etc.

Anyway...I wasnt necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with anything in your post...just giving my 2 cents. Thx!

:-)
Old 02-20-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

In my limited experience, a holistic approach to recovery is encouraged, but the professionals I've encountered don't really seem to know what that looks like. I think this is the natural result of the lamentable turn to specialization in many areas of modern life.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Kiki0615:
As to the "Higher Power" being "anything", I do think that the 'doorknob" idea is a subtle slur against the whole concept by persons saying ridiculing it. Obviously no one has ever made any progress by looking to a doorknob, bedpost or other inanimate object for support, guidance (I'd find extended debate on this quite boring). One can talk of canes, wheelchairs and so forth but, well, moving right along..... The least objectionable interpretation, I suggest, is that to recover, one should recognize that support, guidance from some source other than oneself is not only helpful but in the views of some, necessary, a precondition of recovery. The recognition that I can't do this alone. I need help. And the more i hesitate, debate and particularly the more I ridicule the harder it gets.
This is in no way a criticism of your fine thoughts. Only of those who talk of doorknobs, bedposts, bedpans in a supercilious way. Thanks.

W.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Brilliant post, generating a fascinating and helpful discussion.
Many thanks wpainterw.
xx
Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Far to Go:
I like your name. Reminds me of Robert Frost "But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." Also Stonewall Jackson's dying words, "Let us cross over the River now and rest in the shade of the trees." And the famous photograph of the Afro American man standing by the side of the tracks with an accordion as F.D.R.'s funeral train went back to Washington, playing "Going Home!" Miles to Go...Then I shall sleep.

Bill
Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Kiki0615: As to the "Higher Power" being "anything", I do think that the 'doorknob" idea is a subtle slur against the whole concept by persons saying ridiculing it. Obviously no one has ever made any progress by looking to a doorknob, bedpost or other inanimate object for support, guidance (I'd find extended debate on this quite boring). One can talk of canes, wheelchairs and so forth but, well, moving right along..... The least objectionable interpretation, I suggest, is that to recover, one should recognize that support, guidance from some source other than oneself is not only helpful but in the views of some, necessary, a precondition of recovery. The recognition that I can't do this alone. I need help. And the more i hesitate, debate and particularly the more I ridicule the harder it gets. This is in no way a criticism of your fine thoughts. Only of those who talk of doorknobs, bedposts, bedpans in a supercilious way. Thanks. W.
Yeah, I agree. My higher power is God but there is someone in my AA meetings that has been sober for a LONG time & their higher power is a door knob. (I know...strange) ;-)

Whatever works! Haha
Old 02-21-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing you a nice day Painter
Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Yeah, I agree. My higher power is God but there is someone in my AA meetings that has been sober for a LONG time & their higher power is a door knob. (I know...strange) ;-)

Whatever works! Haha
O.K. My Higher Power is my dog. He knows it. And he's not a codependent enabler. Runs a tight ship. When I bring him a treat he says, "Keep coming back!"

W.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

P.S. To put to rest, hopefully, the incredibly tedious and boring "door knob" controversy, I once heard a fellow say that if the only way he could get sobriety was to run through DuPont Circle in D.C. nude (they used to call that "streaking") then he'd gladly do it. I'd join him, although I might walk rather than run since I'll soon be 89. But not at night! Much better, safer, in the daytime. If we did it at night then sobriety might be a dead issue, along with other stuff. And if a door knob would suffice then I'd hold on it, nude or fully clothed.

W.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Painter is your dog a dalmation I have a Jack Russell
Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Both fabulous dogs, I have a Bichon Friese. Somebody should start a dog thread, they're important creatures around here (and everywhere if you love them!).
xx
Old 02-21-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think least started a dog thread somewhere

D
Old 02-21-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Painter is your dog a dalmation I have a Jack Russell
No, my higher power is a black and white English Cocker. As another posting says, they are both wonderful Higher Powers

Bill.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
Both fabulous dogs, I have a Bichon Friese. Somebody should start a dog thread, they're important creatures around here (and everywhere if you love them!).
xx
That's a good breed too. The French are often interesting Higher Powers, like Louis XIV. We won't mention Napoleon. Oh, sorry, we just did! Would you take Charles DeGaulle? He was tall enough!

Merci beau coup!