Notices

It just tipped over to being easier

Old 02-16-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It just tipped over to being easier

Just a moment ago I had an interesting experience. Suddenly staying sober felt easier. It's like a weight has been lifted.

To anyone have a difficult time in the first week: when they say that it gets easier, it really is true. And it doesn't take that long.

I'm expecting to have many more of these types of moments along the way, where it keeps getting easier. But this first one really pleasantly surprised me.

Suddenly I'm very tired... Like when you've been working really hard for a week and finally you're done, you know? A good kind of tired.

I'm expecting to sleep very well tonight now that I've reached this point. And since I only had 3 cups of green tea, I have hardly any caffeine in my system. Not like after the 6 cups of coffee I had yesterday. Ah well, live and learn.

Just wanted to share that it does get easier. And the first moment that it gets easier can happen within a week. It depends on the person. Maybe for some people it happens sooner. Maybe for some a little while longer. I think about two weeks is the longest I've read about. Which is nothing! Two weeks. For a lifetime of sobriety.

Whew, I'm exhausted. I'm going to listen to some music, take a shower, do some laundry and am looking forward to tomorrow. Which I haven't had for a long time!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for post MikeM! This has given me hope.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Most certainly, it does get easier. For me it took about a month before I started feeling 'secure'. But for anyone starting out, take heart. It gets better.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay, Mike!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mike, for this post.

Newcomers, it absolutely does get easier and better and better.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Mike, I'm glad that you feel good, but this is a long road and there will be lots of ups and downs. You must always be vigilant.

I just had an interesting experience relating to my previous comment that your hand could pick up a drink without your mind knowing it. I am somewhat addicted to caffeine--just on my days off, since I can't run to the toilet all the time at work. But I was not even thinking about having a fourth cup--I usually stop at three--and I reached into the cabinet and grabbed a coffee filter. How'd that happen? If it were booze, I'd be on my way to getting drunk.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, Mike.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job mike
Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I actually posted about this phenomenon earlier today.

For me, that feeling happened on Day 4. I thought that it was just a pink cloud effect, but it wasn't and I've been riding it all the way to day 14 today. For me it just clicked and for the first time in 5 years I've been relieved to know that I don't have to hurt from alcohol anymore. The results so far have been fantastic. 14 days isn't a lot of time, but it's the most I've had in 5 years.... so something has happened. In other words it was the complete surrender that I can never drink again... and then poof... all the sudden I'm looking forward to that. I'm looking forward to continued sobriety.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So true. I remember the first time in early sobriety the first time I was just sitting and realized I felt happy! It came, it passed (just like bad moods), and later on it came again. It amazed me how I could just feel happy . on my own . with not outside stimulus. Thanks for reminding me of this simple and strong wisdom.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You sound SO much better than you used to, Mike. Sobriety definitely agrees with you. Congratulations. We are all very proud of you.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me this happened after my last binge. When I made my commitment to sobriety this time, something was different. It took me a few days to really figure it out but it's the fact that I truly want it this time. It's not just words but a feeling I have deep inside me to be sober - forever. Once I accepted that I will never drink again and it's not that big of a deal to never drink again, suddenly I was at peace. There are so many other things we have available to us to do in life that cutting out one thing is worth it to open up a new world of opportunity. At least that's how I look at it. So I can relate to what you are saying for sure. Keep up the great work!
Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found myself with that feeling his morning as well ... Definitely nice :-)
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
Once I accepted that I will never drink again and it's not that big of a deal to never drink again, suddenly I was at peace.!
I agree totally. It's actually not a huge deal to not drink again- loads of people choose not to drink. It's just to us, as alcoholics, when we are struggling it seems like the biggest thing in the world- otherwise we wouldn't be alcoholics!!

What do we have to lose from never drinking again: sweet f-a. But what do we have to gain: no more physical/mental pain caused by alcohol, no more hangovers/withdrawals, no more life revolving around drinking. And also that fantastic feeling of relief that you get when you realise that you can change, all you have to do is not drink, and you can feel damn good

Mike you are a great example of this. So glad you are doing so well
Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I read some of your former posts and am glad to see you're doing better.

Stay strong!!

Much 💓💓💓!!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mike, I'm so happy for you. You should be very proud of yourself. Keep it going!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

good job Mike

D
Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awesome, fantastic news, Mike! Happy for ya!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Way to go, bud. Keep on!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling good.

Just don't let it worry you if you aren't tomorrow, it will come back.

Promised.